Maschine MK3 in Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Warmonger

Maschine MK3 in Live?

Post by Warmonger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:53 am

Does anybody use it already? Some promotional videos promised great integration with Live and actually impressed me. However, [url=https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... 22215/this topic[/url] I found shows it's not actually implemented :?

Would like to know it it works for real - and if it's usable without Machine Software.

Doktor RyConn

Re: Maschine MK3 in Live?

Post by Doktor RyConn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:46 am

I have the Maschine MK2 and the Ableton template does not work with Ableton Live 10 which is suuuuuuper disappointing.

I haven't looked into a solution really yet but I was really hoping nothing would change with using my Mk2 controller with Live.

I would assume that this would be the same for the Mk3 but I'm not totally sure.

I'm already disappointing with how glitchy Live 10 is. Really not impressed yet. I guess by pre-ordering, I was getting 20% the price off becasue they knew I would have to deal with months/years of bugs.

Good luck friend.
-- Dok RyConn --

phil-ip beats

Post by phil-ip beats » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 am

i have maschine mikto mk2 , and ableton live 9 template is working in live 10 for me. simply copy and paste from live 9 remote scripts to 10 remote scripts folder

Doktor RyConn

Post by Doktor RyConn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:25 am

phil-ip beats wrote:i have maschine mikto mk2 , and ableton live 9 template is working in live 10 for me. simply copy and paste from live 9 remote scripts to 10 remote scripts folder
Ok wow, I was not using my brain at all on this one. :oops:

I did not think of that. Thank you.

For anyone else that may be reading this topic, a copy from the NI site:
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... -or-Higher

How to Install the MASCHINE Ableton Live Template for Live 9.6 or Higher
This article explains how to install the MIDI Remote Script for the MASCHINE controller for Ableton Live 9.6 or higher. Once done, you will be able to use MASCHINE for advanced control of Ableton Live.

Installing the Remote Script
Copying the MIDI Remote Script
Ensure that Ableton Live is not running.
Navigate to the following folder:
OS X: Macintosh HD > Applications > Native Instruments > Controller Editor > Template Support Files > Ableton Live 9
Win: C: > Program Files > Native Instruments > Controller Editor > Template Support Files > Ableton Live 9
If you are using one of the following controllers, locate the respective MIDI Remote Script folder:
MASCHINE (MK1): "Maschine"
MASCHINE MIKRO MK2: "Maschine_Mikro_Mk2"
MASCHINE MK2: Maschine_Mk2
MASCHINE STUDIO: "Maschine_Studio"
MASCHINE JAM: "Maschine_Jam"
MASCHINE MK3: "Maschine Mk3"
M2_AbletonTemplates.png
Copy the folder that matches your controller to your clipboard by right-clicking on it and choosing Copy. You will have to paste it into Ableton Live's MIDI Remote Scripts folder, as described below. In our example, we copy the "Maschine_Studio" folder.
KB2241_CopyMaschineStudioFolder.png
Pasting the MIDI Remote Script Folder into the Ableton Live Application Package
Mac OS X
Open your Applications folder and right-click the Live application symbol. In the context menu, click on Show Package Contents.

In the Ableton Live package, navigate to Contents > App-Resources > MIDI Remote Scripts.
Delete any installed MASCHINE folders from "MIDI Remote Scripts".
Paste the folder you have copied to your clipboard into the "MIDI Remote Scripts" folder:
KB2241_MaschineStudioinMIDIRemote.png
Windows
Go to Ableton Live's installation directory. By default, it is located here: C: > Program Data > Ableton > Live 9 > Resources > MIDI Remote Scripts.
Note: The Program Data folder may be hidden. This article explains how to display hidden files and folders in Windows.

Delete any installed "Maschine" folders from "MIDI Remote Scripts".
Paste the folder you have copied to your clipboard into the "MIDI Remote Scripts" folder:
KB2241_MaschineStudioinMIDIRemotePC.png

Loading the Ableton Live Template in Controller Editor

Connect the MASCHINE controller to your computer.
Start the Controller Editor application from Applications > Native Instruments > Controller Editor. Controller Editor will automatically recognize your controller.
In Controller Editor, click the Templates tab.
Select the Ableton Live 9 template in the Templates list. If not present, open the Factory Templates drop-down menu and choose Ableton Live 9 to add it.

Setting Up Ableton Live 9 for the MASCHINE MIDI Template

Start Ableton Live.
Open Ableton Live's Preferences and go to the Link / MIDI Tab.
Assign a free Control Surface slot to your MASCHINE controller by selecting it from the drop-down list.
ControlSurfaceNew.png
On Mac, choose the Virtual Input corresponding to your controller, e.g. Maschine Studio Virtual Input. On Windows, select the In entry corresponding to your controller, e.g. Maschine Studio In.
MacInput.png
On Mac, choose the Virtual Output corresponding to your controller, e.g. Maschine Studio Virtual Output. On Windows, select the first Out entry corresponding to your controller, e.g. Maschine Studio Out 1.
MacOutput.png

Setting up the MASCHINE Controller
Switch your MASCHINE controller to MIDI mode by pressing SHIFT and CONTROL / CHANNEL (press this key combination again to switch back to MASCHINE mode).
Select the Ableton Live 9 Template from your MASCHINE controller:
If you are using a MASCHINE STUDIO controller, load the Ableton Live 9 Template by keeping the SHIFT button pressed and navigating with the left and right arrows (next to the left display) until you see the Ableton Live 9 Template.
If you are using a MASCHINE MK1 or MK2 controller, enter TEMPLATE mode by pressing SHIFT+TEMPLATE (rightmost button of the right display). Then scroll down to the Ableton Live 9 template using the encoder and press LOAD.
If you are using a MASCHINE MIKRO MK2 controller, keep the SHIFT button pressed and scroll down to the Ableton Live 9 template using the encoder.
Your MASCHINE controller is now configured to control Ableton Live. For detailed instructions about the functions of the MASCHINE MIDI Template for Ableton, please refer to the Ableton Live 9 MASCHINE Template Manual English.pdf. You can also find this manual under Documentation in your Controller Editor application folder.
-- Dok RyConn --

stevep314

Post by stevep314 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Here is how I use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i54WFFPR6Q

Grtz,
Steve

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks. However, I asked if it is actually WORTH it as a integrated solution, not if it is just-maybe-possible to use Machine with Live. At least that's what promo videos promised at the beginning.

stevep314

Post by stevep314 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:51 pm

I think it is. However, NI could do a MUCH better job integrating Machine with DAWs imo...and maybe not worth it if all you need is a midi controller. Then you are probably better with a launchpad or MPC MPD218, MPD232 or something like that.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:52 pm

I think it's a clunky implementation IMO.

I use Maschine Studio which has a different integration script but for the most part works the same in Live as MKIII except for the mixer and after using Push for 5 years it is horrible trying to use Maschine as a controller in Live, I just don't bother. If that is one of your main intentions I recon Push is a far better option.

Dustman Jazz

Post by Dustman Jazz » Sat May 09, 2020 4:20 pm

MIDI SCRIPT ISSUE ON ABLETON 9.7.7

I loosed all my Saturday, today ... to try to set and use Ableton without the Maschine2 software until i understand there is no real possibility to use maschine mk3 totally with it without to load a DAW (maschine2) in a track of a DAW (Ableton) ?!?!?

... i find that it is useless and that it makes the user's do the double work with two completely different concept of DAW'S.

Personally i can't believe that both Native Instruments and Ableton can't find a way to solve this problems? With so many users and customers?

So many customers and users and must follow so many steps to make something compatible.

Is this just a problem of conflict of interests or what??

If this is the problem i wish to remember you that your products are not free or gratis and we pay to have solutions not more problems.

Please be more oriented on what customer wish and on the best solutions for your customers.