Push 2 switching between User and Live Mode outside Live??

Discuss Push with other users.
Machinesworking

Push 2 switching between User and Live Mode outside Live??

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:28 am

OK so using Push 2 with other DAWs in User mode, and in Live mode.
So far it seems you cannot choose between User Mode and Live Mode outside of Live. ????
To use Push 2 in User mode in Reaper etc. I have to put Push 2 in User Mode in Live, quit Live, then open Reaper. There's a pretty great java application that uses Push 2's Live mode, but it cannot be run until I open Live put Live in Live Mode, quit, then open Reaper etc.

Is there any solution to this?? Am I missing some trick, or is it just how it is with Push 2?

hoffman2k

Re: Push 2 switching between User and Live Mode outside Live??

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:39 am

You can switch modes using Sysex. Not at home, so I can't paste it for you right now. But its the same Sysex message you see when you switch between the modes. Just capture it with Sysex Librarian. You can send it back to either port.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Outside of Live, the two modes are essentially identical. The only difference between them is the ports they use. If you're using an app that depends on a particular mode being selected (which would mean that the app it hardcoded to use a particular set of ports), it should send out the SysEx message to select that mode.

In any event, the applicable SysEx messages are covered here in the MIDI Mode section.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks a ton both of you! It's not necessarily apps that I'm using, but user made scripts. one for controlling Push II in Reaper with all the same mixer and plug in functionality of Live, but no Session View. The other one is a Push II script for a Reaper specific VSTi that does Session View. The Push II script uses Live mode, the Session View VSTi Push II controller script uses User mode..

I guess the good part of that is it's possible that one could add in the switching. The bad part is it might just not work at all.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:00 pm

Apps/scripts...same difference. Unless the ports the app/script uses are hardcoded (meaning you can't manually select the ports to use), then the app/script likely doesn't care about which mode the controller is in. If the mode you're in does matter, either the app/script is intended to be used with Live (where the Live script handles mode switching) or the app/script really should be handling the mode switching for you.

In any event, Push 2 will be in Live mode when you initially turn it on. So, if you're able to select the ports to use, try selecting the ports named Ableton Push 2.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:50 pm

metastatik wrote:Outside of Live, the two modes are essentially identical. The only difference between them is the ports they use. If you're using an app that depends on a particular mode being selected (which would mean that the app is hardcoded to use a particular set of ports), it should send out the SysEx message to select that mode.

In any event, the applicable SysEx messages are covered here in the MIDI Mode section.