CPU usage in Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
McAnix

Re: CPU usage in Live 10

Post by McAnix » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:11 am

My suggestion is that all those that are experiencing CPU usage issues with 10 need to contact support and show them the problem. That is the only way we can get this fixed.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:17 pm

Think it, s pretty clear now for support that there is a big CPU problem.
Maybe they should communicate that they are working on a solution or update or something.
Maybe then i can install live 10 because on a duocore MBP it,s a waste of time.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:38 am

JAMM wrote:Think it, s pretty clear now for support that there is a big CPU problem.
Maybe they should communicate that they are working on a solution or update or something.
Maybe then i can install live 10 because on a duocore MBP it,s a waste of time.
How must that be clear when, for example, it's not clear to me? While other forums but Feature Wishlist might be read by the support team, Ableton are relying on users to report issues they have in order for support to address the concerns at hand. These issues does not go away by magic, but by cooperation.

There can be nothing bad from further improving performance in Live 10, but even if this happens the realities of digital audio will still be there and duocore machines will remain less feasible as music machines, at least when using software instruments.

Personally I'm moving all my Waves plug-ins this year to one of the digigrid servers. This so I can use their plug-ins at every stage. I'm also building an 8- or 10-core machine, basically just for music.

I hope the focus in this discussion remain on when the exact same project have issues in Live 10, when it doesn't in Live 9, on the same machine. That can be analyzed. If anyone has such a project, I can possibly test on my machine with Live 9 and Live 10 Standard.
Make some music!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:09 am

McAnix wrote:My suggestion is that all those that are experiencing CPU usage issues with 10 need to contact support and show them the problem. That is the only way we can get this fixed.
Exactly
Ableton Forum Moderator

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am

Agreed. Also, in the mean time, it's good to have this information visible like this also on the public forum, so that people who are contemplating a move to Live 10 know that it is currently this problematic for many users, and so they will test it very thoroughly on their own system before committing to a purchase.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:57 pm

Nokatus wrote:Agreed. Also, in the mean time, it's good to have this information visible like this also on the public forum, so that people who are contemplating a move to Live 10 know that it is currently this problematic for many users, and so they will test it very thoroughly on their own system before committing to a purchase.
Testing is never wrong.

I disagree with "problematic for many users". You don't know that. You assume. That's the shape of the thing.
Make some music!

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Stromkraft wrote:I disagree with "problematic for many users". You don't know that. You assume. That's the shape of the thing.
You disagreeing with it doesn't change the amount of individual users reporting abnormal CPU use here and elsewhere. Like you said, testing is never wrong, and when there is such an amount of independent reports of a new major version of a software package causing problems like this, it's of course sensible to test very thoroughly and not be in a hurry to upgrade until appropriately certain of being in the clear. This also lowers the probability of disgruntled user posts after the fact, heh.

What I'm confident of, Ableton will have it working better eventually. This is just the initial release.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Nokatus wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:I disagree with "problematic for many users". You don't know that. You assume. That's the shape of the thing.
You disagreeing with it doesn't change the amount of individual users reporting abnormal CPU use here and elsewhere.
I never claimed it does. I just disagreed with your use of the term "many users". It's a number of users of course, but I've seen worse numbers trough the last 5 years.
Nokatus wrote:when there is such an amount of independent reports of a new major version of a software package causing problems like this
And this amount is in actual numbers?
Nokatus wrote: it's of course sensible to test very thoroughly and not be in a hurry to upgrade until appropriately certain of being in the clear. This also lowers the probability of disgruntled user posts after the fact, heh.

What I'm confident of, Ableton will have it working better eventually. This is just the initial release.
Well, I agree with all of that.
Make some music!

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:52 am

When ever there's an issue in a technology product that is substantial enough to elicit a clear trend on forums and the like, one of the main debate devices to downplay the issue is to ask for specific numbers. What I mean by the amount of individual reports (of the format "v9 works on this system well, v10 causes issues that makes it unusable as of present") is, it's high enough to be registered as a trend at large, of abnormal CPU use after an upgrade. "I've seen worse in a previous release" doesn't change that either, it just means it was a worse release.

The significance of trends like this, as far as urgency from the point of view of the developer is concerned, is dependent on how severe an issue is. As an extreme example, exactly the same kind of low-quality discussions were had ("it's a trend" vs. "you are just assuming, but how many are there exactly?") with the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. Out of 2.5 million devices made, only a very fleeting percentage actually caught fire or exploded. But when the issue is that serious (life threatening), you of course acknowledge the trend of arising reports and experiences, and act accordingly.
Stromkraft wrote:Well, I agree with all of that.
That's the main thing :), the rest (also this post) is just idle talk around the matter, basically. Like I said, v10 is just at the initial release, and I'm confident Ableton will improve it down the line; they have done so with worse releases, and all in all I think v10 is a very good one. Right now, it's cool just to acknowledge there's a realistic possibility of having CPU issues on a system that runs v9 and other audio software very well, and testing v10 thoroughly before upgrading is the way to avoid that sort of disgruntlement -- in any case.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:52 am

So I recently posted on this thread explaining that I was having CPU issues with 10. After some more thorough testing and contacting support, turns out the problem was replicable in 9. What is causing my specific issue could be anything now but I'm guessing it has something to do with a combination of my soundcard and internal routing software.

Moonsea

Post by Moonsea » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:20 pm

Enabled high performance in power settings and no more cpu or crackling , 64 buffers now 20% cpu steady where it used to spike to 80 at 44 sample rate, 40ish on 96 windows 10 pro

buj818

Post by buj818 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:49 am

I been keeping up with this thread thinking man, im glad i dont have this problem! Well, it hit me tonight, and hit me hard. A few projects, some 2 track, some up to 9 tracks, all exibit the same CPU usage behavior. Beginning of song, 45-53%, peak of song, 70-90% with crackling then going passed 103% with extreme dropouts. Yes, changed sample to 41, changed from 128 to 256+, flip flopped from ext sound card to internal sound card, and nothing is helping. Only recent change was installing a Waves EQ last night. Removed that, being it was my only change in weeks, and it did not help one bit. CPU in TM shows max of 39% at worst sound quality with a max of 17% RAM used, 0 to 1% disk used. Ive skimmed this an a few other CPU usage threads, no others are finding cures for it. Only difference is that mine started suddenly whereas others had the problem from the get-go after installing 10. Like the rest, I hope Ableton is reading these.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:07 am

buj818 wrote:I hope Ableton is reading these.
You need to contact support.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:26 am

buj818 wrote:I been keeping up with this thread thinking man, im glad i dont have this problem! Well, it hit me tonight, and hit me hard. A few projects, some 2 track, some up to 9 tracks, all exibit the same CPU usage behavior. Beginning of song, 45-53%, peak of song, 70-90% with crackling then going passed 103% with extreme dropouts. Yes, changed sample to 41, changed from 128 to 256+, flip flopped from ext sound card to internal sound card, and nothing is helping. Only recent change was installing a Waves EQ last night. Removed that, being it was my only change in weeks, and it did not help one bit. CPU in TM shows max of 39% at worst sound quality with a max of 17% RAM used, 0 to 1% disk used. Ive skimmed this an a few other CPU usage threads, no others are finding cures for it. Only difference is that mine started suddenly whereas others had the problem from the get-go after installing 10. Like the rest, I hope Ableton is reading these.
What about Enabling "high performance" in the CPU power settings, as Moonsea shared?
Make some music!

Moonsea

Post by Moonsea » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:34 am

buj818 wrote:
I been keeping up with this thread thinking man, im glad i dont have this problem! Well, it hit me tonight, and hit me hard. A few projects, some 2 track, some up to 9 tracks, all exibit the same CPU usage behavior. Beginning of song, 45-53%, peak of song, 70-90% with crackling then going passed 103% with extreme dropouts. Yes, changed sample to 41, changed from 128 to 256+, flip flopped from ext sound card to internal sound card, and nothing is helping. Only recent change was installing a Waves EQ last night. Removed that, being it was my only change in weeks, and it did not help one bit. CPU in TM shows max of 39% at worst sound quality with a max of 17% RAM used, 0 to 1% disk used. Ive skimmed this an a few other CPU usage threads, no others are finding cures for it. Only difference is that mine started suddenly whereas others had the problem from the get-go after installing 10. Like the rest, I hope Ableton is reading these.

What about Enabling "high performance" in the CPU power settings, as Moonsea shared?
You either set the high performance power plan or go into the advanced setup and set processor power management/minimum processor state from 5% to 100% in the power plan you are using and it will solve the issues.