Ableton 10 slow to load instruments, drums, rack etc...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ahdsrbass

Ableton 10 slow to load instruments, drums, rack etc...

Post by ahdsrbass » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:16 am

Hey guys,

Have you experienced any issues with Live 10 taking a while to load instruments drum, pretty much anything from the browser on the left hand side? Just dragging in an instance of Simpler or Drum rack sometimes takes 5-10 seconds, where as Ableton 9 was pretty quick. I've also noticed much longer wait times to load even small projects.

Ableton runs on a Samsung SSD drive, and my library including the core files are on another 7200 RPM drive, could that be the issue? I've tried several things like making sure the library doesn't point to too many folders on my drive, as I've heard that can slow things down significantly due to Ableton indexing the samples.

I've got a good computer in terms of specs, more than what I need really.

Any thoughts?

Lucas

jestermgee

Re: Ableton 10 slow to load instruments, drums, rack etc...

Post by jestermgee » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:55 am

good computer in terms of specs
Might actually help (others) to help you by posting those specs... For a starter you have not mentioned if it's a Mac or PC.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:39 am

ahdsrbass wrote:my library including the core files are on another 7200 RPM drive, could that be the issue?
Certainly. It doesn't have to be, but Live is unfortunately not very fast at loading so it needs all help it can get.
Make some music!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:53 am

L10 is slower to load samples. That's fixed in the latest beta though.
Ableton Forum Moderator

ahdsrbass

Post by ahdsrbass » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Might actually help (others) to help you by posting those specs... For a starter you have not mentioned if it's a Mac or PC.
My bad guys, it was a late night post :mrgreen:

Here it is as follows:

Operating System: Windows 10 build (64-bit)
CPU Type: Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.50GHz
Motherboard: X99-A
Memory: 64GB Kingston DDR 4 Fury
Videocard: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Hard Drive: Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB (500GB)
Soundcard: Babyface Pro
Certainly. It doesn't have to be, but Live is unfortunately not very fast at loading so it needs all help it can get.
I know that it Live is sometimes slow at loading samples, but the difference between 9 and 10 is greatly noticeable, sometimes the program becomes unresponsive for 5-10 seconds.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:58 pm

ahdsrbass wrote:
My bad guys, it was a late night post :mrgreen:

Here it is as follows:

Operating System: Windows 10 build (64-bit)
CPU Type: Intel Core i7-5930K the difference between 9 and 10 is greatly noticeable, sometimes the program becomes unresponsive for 5-10 seconds.
I haven't noticed this in 9 nor in 10, but I have only a big SSD.
Make some music!

Betamaxx

Post by Betamaxx » Tue May 08, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi,

I bought Live 10 a few days ago and I am shocked by the bad performance!

I have a strong mac with SSD and 32GB RAM. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 as interface.

Live 9 ran very smoothly, even with dozens of tracks, fully packed with plugins.

In Live 9, in an empty project, it takes max. 5 seconds to load 128 BD samples into a drum rack.
In Live 10, it takes a minute and more to load the same sample, in an empty project. I made a song with about 20 tracks, with a few plugins. In this project, it takes about 5 minutes (!!!!) to load the same 128 samples.

Also, I experience many distorting sounds, while playing my song, very annoying clicking and also timing destruction. I can reduce it by setting up the sample size in the audio settings, but it is very frustrating.

What could I do? I cannot imagine that a product would be released in this state, I mean, 5 minutes to load a few samples! :lol: :roll:
That's just unrealistic. So there must be also something with my system? But Live 9 just ran very nicely.

Can I complain/give the product back if I cannot get it to work? Because only these 2 things are just inacceptable.

Cheers,
Betamax

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I have only OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and I cannot update for some reasons. Could it have anything to do with that?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue May 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Betamaxx wrote: I have a strong mac with SSD and 32GB RAM. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 as interface.

In Live 9, in an empty project, it takes max. 5 seconds to load 128 BD samples into a drum rack.
In Live 10, it takes a minute and more to load the same sample, in an empty project. I made a song with about 20 tracks, with a few plugins. In this project, it takes about 5 minutes (!!!!) to load the same 128 samples.
Define "strong". That's not a technical term.
I have a MBP 2011, with a 1 Tb SSD, quite slow at 500 mb/s. Loading 105 kick samples into a drum rack takes 12 seconds. I'm sorry didn't have 128 in one folder.
In Live 9 it takes 7 seconds to load the same set. Which is clearly slower, but acceptable.

5 minutes? Something else is going on there.

Make some music!

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed May 09, 2018 4:11 pm

Yeah, man. This sounds like it's not a Live 10 problem per se. Mine is a little slower for sure.

The interesting thing you point out is it's not just the slow load times, but also the audio quality. I've got a 16gb Mac, SSD and the same interface and I don't have any of those issues, but I think you're right about your system. Weird for sure. Hows the CPU meter?

Betamaxx

Post by Betamaxx » Wed May 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Betamaxx wrote: I have a strong mac with SSD and 32GB RAM. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 as interface.

Define "strong". That's not a technical term.
I have a MBP 2011, with a 1 Tb SSD, quite slow at 500 mb/s. Loading 105 kick samples into a drum rack takes 12 seconds. I'm sorry didn't have 128 in one folder.
In Live 9 it takes 7 seconds to load the same set. Which is clearly slower, but acceptable.

5 minutes? Something else is going on there.

It's a 4 GHz Core i7 and actually a Hackintosh. Ok, I could have mentioned this also :)
Well, it's about my system then, probably :(
Shift Gorden wrote:Yeah, man. This sounds like it's not a Live 10 problem per se. Mine is a little slower for sure.

The interesting thing you point out is it's not just the slow load times, but also the audio quality. I've got a 16gb Mac, SSD and the same interface and I don't have any of those issues, but I think you're right about your system. Weird for sure. Hows the CPU meter?
Yeah, I just had a look at the CPU meter and it showed 104% while loading the samples :|

It's pretty sad, because apart from that problem, my system is very stable and fast as hell. I do not necessarily want to re-setup the whole thing...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 10, 2018 5:53 am

Betamaxx wrote:
It's pretty sad, because apart from that problem, my system is very stable and fast as hell. I do not necessarily want to re-setup the whole thing...
Though this responsibility comes with building your own. By association, as Apple does not support third party machines, Ableton can't own performance levels on such machines.

One (somewhat convoluted) way to test the hardware would be to add a Windows partition and test from there. It'll cost you an installation instance but might give you some clues.

Have you investigated that the BIOS settings are correct for high performance and done extensive disk speed tests? The latter especially seems like a good first step, no matter how fast you think your machine is.
Make some music!

Thundermilk

Post by Thundermilk » Mon May 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi all-

I'm also experiencing an Ableton 10 instrument/project lag issue on a refurbished Alienware R15.

Specs:
Intel Core 7th Generation i7-7700HQ
16GB DDR4 Memory Non-ECC 2667MHz (2x8GB)
128GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Transcend X400) - Boot/Program
1TB 2.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) - Pack/Samples/Projects
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
Windows 10 Home 64bit English

I recently switched over to the Alienware/Windows from an ailing 2010 Macbook Pro (i7 2.8GHz/8 GB Ram/classic GPU & solder failure) which that never had lag issues on Ableton 9; I've also got Ableton 10 on a hackintosh that has no lag issues (El Capitan, i7-3770k, 32G Ram, ssd for boot/programs, hdd for samples/projects).

The specs of the Alienware trump the 2010 MBP and should keep pace with the hackintosh, so I'm surprised and concerned with the load struggles.

I'm not as familiar in the PC environment and still trying to interpret the Win10 Resource Monitor for clues:
When loading projects/instrument, I'll see what look like spikes in hard faults/sec. under Memory or in Disk Activity, the C: Queue Length will spike as well. But I don't know what's normal & acceptable for PC yet. So any helpful notes would be appreciated.
I've also seen LatencyMon and DPC Checker mentioned in optimization guides but haven't tried them yet. Are those handy in scenarios like this?

I'm hoping this is ultimately a PC bug with Ableton 10's recent release and an update solves it; I saw someone up the thread say the latest beta may help but I'll wait out a proper version update.

But I'm glad to hear any insights.

Thanks

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:33 pm

I’ve noticed everything is slow, including adding tracks, changing routings, and slicing.

Windows 10 x64
6 core Intel
16 GB RAM
1 TB SSD
Latest Live beta
RME UFX audio interface

I’m a software engineer, and I know how to keep my machine clean and running well.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:43 pm

I’ve noticed everything is slow, including adding tracks, changing routings, and slicing.

Windows 10 x64
6 core Intel
16 GB RAM
1 TB SSD
Latest Live beta
RME UFX audio interface

I’m a software engineer, and I know how to keep my machine clean and running well.
Same here on all counts. I've actually been holding strong on Live 8 Suite, Windows 7 for a while now, and was considering the (somewhat costly) upgrade to 10 Suite. But the demo version of Live 10 feels like a considerable downgrade, at least on my aging system (Windows 7, i5 6500, 8G RAM, 1TB HDD). Simple processes like loading projects, adding plugins, etc. will hourglass Live 10 for... easily 10x as long as Live 8, with that disconcerting grayed-out, "Application is not responding" look.

Without some kind of explanation in advance, it's hard to justify a software upgrade that will necessitate a hardware upgrade all to achieve... a wash, maybe? The only reason Live 10 is on my radar at this point is because I have some new instruments that are only compatible for v9+. And as far as I can tell, Ableton won't sell you v9 anymore. :|

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:18 pm

mbenigni wrote:Simple processes like loading projects, adding plugins, etc. will hourglass Live 10 for... easily 10x as long as Live 8
While I don't have Live 8 installed anymore, so can't try, that's just far too long. As you saw earlier I see a 50% decrease in loading time between Live 9 and 10. That's too much. 1000%, as you suggest in your case indicates more serious issues to me.
mbenigni wrote:And as far as I can tell, Ableton won't sell you v9 anymore. :|
Second hand licenses are still changing hands…
Make some music!