Allow deep integration of the Nektar Panorama controllers!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
SvenH

Re: Allow deep integration of the Nektar Panorama controllers!

Post by SvenH » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:25 am

chapelier fou wrote:Any news on this ?
I just discovered the Panorama and i'd love to be able to have custom screen + controls per set. Really frustrating !
No news AFAIK. I wonder how many users there are that want/need this integration and I wonder how many users needed to make Ableton respond... :roll:

bout100

Post by bout100 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:28 pm

So am I correct in thinking that a remote mapping hasn't yet been created for Panorama? If so then I've just spent most of the day writing a remote script to get proper control of devices and banked control of the mixer etc, with drum pads mapped to clip launching or drum rack pads. I've also configured the large fader with it's mute and solo buttons to control the currently selected track. It's not the proper deep integration that we all want but its better than the basic map provided by Nektar.

If anyone is interested it would be good to get some feedback, let me know.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:26 pm

SvenH wrote:
chapelier fou wrote:Any news on this ?
I just discovered the Panorama and i'd love to be able to have custom screen + controls per set. Really frustrating !
No news AFAIK. I wonder how many users there are that want/need this integration and I wonder how many users needed to make Ableton respond... :roll:
You'd have to club together and pay for the script creation, something that Nektar should do themselves...

Cheers
D

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:03 pm

I think it's two simple things.

First, Live already has a number of dedicated controllers that Nektar would have to compete with. For other DAWs their only real competition is Mackie Control ($$$$$$$), there's nothing else available that's as deeply integrated out of the box.

Second, Nektar and Bitwig are partners (Nektar is the US Bitwig distributor) and supporting Live is not in Bitwig's best interests.

pb125770

Post by pb125770 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:29 pm

I just purchased the Pacer pedal board with a view to controlling Ableton on-stage. I use Ableton as a synth rack, playing from a Panorama P6 and a Roland Pro-800. It is a real pain not being able to plug-n-play with a DAW template but I'm just going to have to dedicate some time midi-programming I guess. Let the fun begin - I'm not an expert in that field!

Markopolo

Post by Markopolo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Please!!!! I have been looking and looking for a way to use the motor function of my fader on the P6 with Ableton!!! I am here in great support of the deeper integration! :(

Kritix Choyce

Post by Kritix Choyce » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:28 pm

I took the plunge and switched to Bitwig Studio 2.0. With their winter sale and the educational discount, I got the full version for 199.00. It was and is totally worth it. The integration with my P4 is PHENOMENAL! Looking forward to a great, productive year!

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Kritix Choyce wrote:I took the plunge and switched to Bitwig Studio 2.0. With their winter sale and the educational discount, I got the full version for 199.00. It was and is totally worth it. The integration with my P4 is PHENOMENAL! Looking forward to a great, productive year!
OK, but Nektar is just a terrible purchase for Live users.

Nektar P4 = $560

Add BW for $200 with EDU discount (not everyone has it) and it is $760.

Without EDU discount people pay $860.

Plus what you paid for Live, which goes to waste if you go full Bitwig.

Adds up to a $1100+ loss easy.

I think most people will be happier buying a Push 2...
♥♥♥

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 pm

tnussb wrote:This is definitly not about allowance, because Ableton Live allows any controller to be integrated with scripts. It's about a manufacturer not willing to write a simple script for Ableton Live. With all the different controllers on the market Ableton is simply not able to write these scripts by their own for each and every controller. They need the manufacturers to provide these scripts to them.
Nektar already provides scripts for Live. Out of the box, the first template in the P6 is for Live: control transport, volume and first send (but not pan!?!?) for tracks and the first 8 parameters for any device (including macros). Pretty much what every other generic controller can do. But that is not what I would call deep integration. Push, APCs, Launchpads...that is deep integration.

With Logic, the P6 can control transport, mixer, available parameters for all devices (native and third party), select patches, select insert devices and instruments, control markers (create, delete, navigate), control punch-in, set loop points, view and control Smart Controls (macros), zoom the display, set automation modes and undo...all with visual feedback of parameter names and values. To do this Nektar partners with the DAW mfrs and gets their API. For each DAW they support (Reason, Cubase/Nuendo, Logic/Garageband, Reaper, Bitwig), the control features are similar.

The only "generic" controllers with deep integration for Live are from Novation, like the Impulse and SL mkII. The Impulse can control volume, pan, and up to 4 sends per track, launch clips and scenes and control available parameters of devices with visual feedback of names and values.