Studio Monitors Help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tom_Har

Studio Monitors Help

Post by Tom_Har » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:22 am

Hello Guys i just bought Hs7 Monitors my room is around 3.5 x 2 Meters can you give some advice is room to small for this kind of monitors?? Thank you

redglass

Re: Studio Monitors Help

Post by redglass » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:25 am

Tom_Har wrote:Hello Guys i just bought Hs7 Monitors my room is around 3.5 x 2 Meters can you give some advice is room to small for this kind of monitors?? Thank you
Your workplace should point to the shorter wall, where the speakers might be placed nearfield. So as your room is pretty small and has influence on your sound, you should sit close to the monitors listening not too hard in order to avoid reflection energy. Think about bass absorbers and a book shelfs with old books in it people give away for free these days.

A good headphone to control your mix might be helpful. I would consider asking a mastering engineer to check your mix before you play your mixes in clubs. You might ask a club to check your mix without public. Bass frequencies sound completely different in clubs with higher volume.

Good luck!

https://www.neumann.com/homestudio/en/h ... ome-studio

Tom_Har

Post by Tom_Har » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Thanks for Advice :)

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Tom_Har wrote:Hello Guys i just bought Hs7 Monitors my room is around 3.5 x 2 Meters can you give some advice is room to small for this kind of monitors?? Thank you

You are probably ok as you are going with a smaller woofer. That said consider room treatment (bass traps) as it is very unlikely your room will be perfect.

You can get a rough idea on what your room is doing by playing a sine wave sweeped from like 40hz to like 500hz.

Ideally the sine wave should sweep at the same volume if your room is perfect. You will most likely have peaks and nulls at certain frequencies.

This will tell you what your room is doing to your bass.

You can compare with headphones (studio headphones). These will usually sound very even when sweeping.

You can treat flutter echos with normal acoustic foam. These are easier to fix than bass issues. Put them at your first reflection points and from there add depending on if you want a deader room or not.

Even with proper treatment your room won’t be perfect but the goal is just seeing if you can minimize what your room is doing as that can go a long way to help your mixes translate.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:23 pm

do you mean 3.5 x 3.5 x 2 metres? or 3.5 x 2 x height metres?

if it's the first, then the room is square, which is one of the worst in terms of causing problems with peaks and troughs in the sound, due to the way the sound bounces around the room.

if it's the second, then that is a tiny room.

either way, even with acoustic treatment there will be significant issues with the sound, so cross-referencing your mixes with headphones and other playback systems will be a must.