Clip automation looping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
orbita

Clip automation looping

Post by orbita » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:47 pm

I'm testing out the Live 10 demo. I created a session midi clip for an external synth and added some automation to enable/disable a delay fx on certain notes. When I drag the clip to the arrange window and loop the clip the automation doesn't loop with the midi. Also the automation is no longer clip automation but now track automation. Is there a way to keep the automation part of the clip and have it loop too, preferably being relative rather than absolute? I'd like to avoid duplicating the clip if possible since that means any further changes to the clip require reduplication. Preliminary searches suggest versions prior to 9 did this.

In Logic Pro - I can choose to record automation into region or clip and when looping the clip, the clip automation loops too.

Also, if forced to duplicate, is there any smart search/replace option for doing this?

orbita

Re: Clip automation looping

Post by orbita » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:18 am

Anyone?

jeblo05

Post by jeblo05 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:57 am

You want to have a modulation (relative) instead an automation (absolute).
The concepts are explained here:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... Modulation

orbita

Post by orbita » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:10 am

Ooooh ok cool. Thanks! That should work for my purposes
It says you cannot record in modulation, only draw it. Do you know if you can convert automation to modulation?

orbita

Post by orbita » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:36 am

Ok, just tried it and got it working. Few things I noticed:

- You can seemingly only Modulate ableton device parameters not any control. So in my case, I wanted to automate a device on/off - and had to therefore had to place the device into a rack and map the on/off to a macro. Is there another way?

- If you have recorded in automation and want to convert it to modulation, you more or less have to redraw it in. If you copy the automation envelope, it doesn't appear to be possible to paste it as a modulation envelope.

At least I can get the effect I was hoping for without having to have a mess of duplicated regions and automation.

Thanks for the pointer.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:35 am

orbita wrote: - If you have recorded in automation and want to convert it to modulation, you more or less have to redraw it in. If you copy the automation envelope, it doesn't appear to be possible to paste it as a modulation envelope.
This is not correct. I just copied and pasted an automation envelope — the Simpler resonance — from Arrangement into the same modulation parameter in Session as well as in Arrangement.

You might have tried to paste something incompatible.
Make some music!

orbita

Post by orbita » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:37 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
orbita wrote: - If you have recorded in automation and want to convert it to modulation, you more or less have to redraw it in. If you copy the automation envelope, it doesn't appear to be possible to paste it as a modulation envelope.
This is not correct. I just copied and pasted an automation envelope — the Simpler resonance — from Arrangement into the same modulation parameter in Session as well as in Arrangement.

You might have tried to paste something incompatible.
Good - I'm glad I'm wrong :)

Looks like the problem was that I was copying a boolean automation for Device On/Off to modulation macro mapped to device on off but the modulation is 0-127 and it probably can't handle the conversion. A Mix automation -> Macro modulation copied fine however.