MIDI Note Slicing

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Wicks6

MIDI Note Slicing

Post by Wicks6 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 pm

This is a quite simple request, and I'd say it's the #2 thing I miss from Logic Pro X (besides true Multiple-Clip Editing).

In Ableton, there should absolutely be a way to slice MIDI notes like you can slice clips.

I produce melodic glitch hop, melodic dubstep, and electro house, and therefore work a lot with large chord stacks.

In Logic, the ability to slice MIDI Notes—often multiple at the same time— allowed me to:
-Create new rhythms by simply chopping up longer MIDI notes, and shortening them by—say—the 1/16th note.
-Turn long chords into quick, pulsating 1/8th and 1/16th rhythms
-Trim the ends of multiple notes in a chord more exactly, and without entering quantize
-Create fast, chopped up rhythms for leads, often at the 1/32nd, without having to click in every single note

Ableton's workflow for slicing clips is simple—just place the marker and use CTRL + E. Why can't I have that same functionality when editing MIDI notes?

It would be wonderful if, in Ableton, I could simply:
-Select one or multiple MIDI notes
-Click to place the marker/playback head within the clip's detail view
-Press CTRL + E and "Slice" the MIDI note at the marker/playback head

Combined with TRUE Multiple-MIDI Clip Editing, this is a POWERFUL, powerful feature for editing MIDI notes and MIDI data. It would save tons of time, and open the door to new creative possibilities.

I purchased Ableton Live 10 Suite, and have been using it on a brand-new PC with a powerful Ryzen processor. I love most of Ableton's workflow.

But, because Ableton is missing those two KEY things—MIDI Slicing and (actual) Multiple MIDI editing—I find myself going back to my 2012 Macbook and Logic Pro X time and time again.

I would be more than happy to provide a screen-capture video in Logic to display the functionality I'm talking about. I'd even be willing to voice it over, and keep it succinct (under a minute).

buttress

Re: MIDI Note Slicing

Post by buttress » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:13 am

Absolutely insane!!! Come on ableton wtf
it's 2018!!!!!!!!

Dancho

Post by Dancho » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:11 pm

Yes it is 2018 and what they did in the last 5 years just catch up . Live midi editing needs so many features!!!
Go and see Cubase and logic midi editing how superior it is and they are cheaper then ableton.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Yes, please. Great suggestion.
Make some music!

produc3rboy

Post by produc3rboy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:21 pm

I would like to chime in here to also say I've been missing this feature as well! One thing I did notice though is that Logic and Premiere Pro have tools you can change between. I really wanted to just click on a scissors tool and slice the MIDI.

davepezzner

Post by davepezzner » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:01 am

Please bump this. Note slicing is super important in order to trim notes of varying note starts to the same stop point.

jlip

Post by jlip » Sun May 31, 2020 12:59 am

+1
Pretty surprised that ableton can't do this

Stefftastiq

Post by Stefftastiq » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:50 pm

+1

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:22 pm

Wicks6 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 pm
This is a quite simple request, and I'd say it's the #2 thing I miss from Logic Pro X (besides true Multiple-Clip Editing).

In Ableton, there should absolutely be a way to slice MIDI notes like you can slice clips.

I produce melodic glitch hop, melodic dubstep, and electro house, and therefore work a lot with large chord stacks.

In Logic, the ability to slice MIDI Notes—often multiple at the same time— allowed me to:
-Create new rhythms by simply chopping up longer MIDI notes, and shortening them by—say—the 1/16th note.
-Turn long chords into quick, pulsating 1/8th and 1/16th rhythms
-Trim the ends of multiple notes in a chord more exactly, and without entering quantize
-Create fast, chopped up rhythms for leads, often at the 1/32nd, without having to click in every single note

Ableton's workflow for slicing clips is simple—just place the marker and use CTRL + E. Why can't I have that same functionality when editing MIDI notes?

It would be wonderful if, in Ableton, I could simply:
-Select one or multiple MIDI notes
-Click to place the marker/playback head within the clip's detail view
-Press CTRL + E and "Slice" the MIDI note at the marker/playback head

Combined with TRUE Multiple-MIDI Clip Editing, this is a POWERFUL, powerful feature for editing MIDI notes and MIDI data. It would save tons of time, and open the door to new creative possibilities.

I purchased Ableton Live 10 Suite, and have been using it on a brand-new PC with a powerful Ryzen processor. I love most of Ableton's workflow.

But, because Ableton is missing those two KEY things—MIDI Slicing and (actual) Multiple MIDI editing—I find myself going back to my 2012 Macbook and Logic Pro X time and time again.

I would be more than happy to provide a screen-capture video in Logic to display the functionality I'm talking about. I'd even be willing to voice it over, and keep it succinct (under a minute).

I always wondered why this feature seems to have a big "divide" among DAW developers among importance. Some DAW developers like Cubase, FL Studio put this in very early on.

While it seems like others such as Reason, and Sonar took years to finally develop (quite often after alot of criticism from users at that). Ableton is one of the few DAWs without this now. I guess there is a high percentage of DAW users (and developers) who finds this unnecessary but yet usually if a DAW couldn't split clips, that would be considered a universal crime among all DAW developers.

JukkaK

Post by JukkaK » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:25 pm

buttress wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:13 am
Absolutely insane!!! Come on ableton wtf
it's 2018!!!!!!!!

Come oooooon!??

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:26 pm

Simply for consistency throughout the program, CTRL/CMD + E should split notes.

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:52 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:26 pm
Simply for consistency throughout the program, CTRL/CMD + E should split notes.
That's what I think too.

But that won't work like some people want. They want tools in toolbars, which Live will never (thankfully).

CTRL/CMD + E would split all notes at the marker. There is no "per-note marker", only a time marker for the whole Clip.

Also, ironically, the marker fits to the grid if grid is enabled. That means that splitting to the grid would need usage of Ctrl+1/2/3/..., which would not make it that much faster or usable than simply using B (Draw mode) with the same Ctrl+1/2/... keys.
♥♥♥

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:00 am

I pretty much hate tools and modal operation. All those icons all over the place and then you can only do what the tool allows. The lack thereof is one of the reasons I like Live so much. Non-modal, object-oriented, place cursor or select item, then operate on the selection with a contextually suitable action. Mouse in one hand, other hand on the keyboard.

But old habits die hard, and lots of DAWs have tools. Try to persuade their users that Live generally provides quicker, better and often very clever ways, and...

All that said. You can split clips, you should be able to split notes. I don't care personally, I'll just shrink and duplicate on the exceedingly rare occasion I might need to, but it should be an option as apparently it's a huge part of some people's methodology.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:06 am

Yeah, I agree that CTRL/CMD+E should split in the marker like in Arrangement.

Now that I think a bit more, maybe make it based on selection, if there is no selection it splits all notes, if there is a selection then only the selected ones.
♥♥♥

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:25 pm

You mean all notes at the current cursor position, not all the notes in the clip, right?