switch scenes in session view automatically?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pete44

switch scenes in session view automatically?

Post by pete44 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi!
I stoped using Live a while ago, coz i missed a way to switch scenes in session view automatically, after 8 bars or 16 or any amount of bars.
the problem is: I have normal fixed arrangements (intro, very, ref) that should launch the next scene, when finished. and then I'd have open solo parts, I wanna have looped until I hit the next scene launch button.
I know there was a way to program midi notes with a loopback device, but that was really a pain in the ass, for many songs with lots of arrangement. - or switching everything manually which is also not optimal if u play keys, sing and play percussion already...
So my question is: is there a new way to do it (e.g. add the number of repetitions in the scene row, that u want before it automatically plays the next scene), or is it still only possible with this kind of time consuming loopback midi note send - method?
thanks for any answers or other inputs to solve this "problem"....

S4racen

Re: switch scenes in session view automatically?

Post by S4racen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:59 pm

pete44

Post by pete44 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:39 pm

thanks!
that means I have to spend another 200 bucks (buying m4l and follow) for fulfilling this simple task (tell a scene how often it should repeat, before moving to the next) -
what a drag! I would never have bought Live if I knew this in the first place ...
such a complex program that has not this simple and often needed feature: repeat! and this in the year 2018 and version 10.... that's really a shame!
not saying your program isn't worth the 30 bucks. actually thanks for that!
am just disappointed in Ableton .... and that they could not include this butter and bread feature until now (version 10)
but thanks for your answer

solovox

Post by solovox » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:33 am

pete44:

I also perform in the Session View with the different sections of my songs laid out between scenes. My question is: if all of your songs are pre-arranged (8 bar intro, 16 bar riff, 8 bar break, then 16 bar chorus, etc,) and then you want the 'Solo' section to be open-ended, I'm trying to understand why you aren't making ONE scene that incorporates all of those changes (in the parentheses) and then use a follow action on each clip (I use 8 channels, so all eight clips would have the same follow action) that jumps down to Solo 'scene' automatically. The follow action would be something like 'At 64 measures, go to NEXT.' This, of course, is built into the system already.

The Solo scenes would -not- have follow actions, and it will repeat ad infinitum until you are ready to go to Scene '3' which would be the entire rest of the song, with your pre-decided arrangement all in their own wav files.
Live Show Rig: MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Motu Ultralite

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:37 am

pete44 wrote:I know there was a way to program midi notes with a loopback device, but that was really a pain in the ass, for many songs with lots of arrangement.
If by "loopback device" you mean using a virtual MIDI port to pass a MIDI trigger from a clip to launch the next scene, then I am not sure what is so "pain in the ass" about it... it does exactly what you want and is fast to set up once you get the hang of it...

pete44

Post by pete44 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks for your input!
1: I never thought of putting all arrangement parts together in one scene. that's so simple and could be exactly the solution....
I'll definitely try that. thanks
2: I think to remember with the midi trigger dummy over virt. midi port, I always had to use a different note. so I could not use e.g C2 for all the play next scene triggers. so not just paste and copy the trigger clip...
and 2nd I didn't know how reliable this virtual midi port system is in a live gig environment. but maybe you are right: once it is set up, it does what it should do.
and I'll just have to find out if it is "rock solid"
just was wondering if by now there was a "easier" way to do it. but I will try both ways and figure out which one is more handy or reliable...
thanks guys!