Time to build Ableton Live for iOS?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

Yes, build it so we can run Live on iPad Pros or iPhones
13%
No, are you kidding me? It's gotta be a computer
88%

Total votes: 8

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:45 am

'The iPhone 8 even edged out the score from the 13-inch Apple MacBook Pro with a 7th-generation Core i5 processor. That notebook notched 9,213. Is Geekbench 4 really comparable from phone to desktop? According to the founder of Geekbench, John Poole, “the short is answer is yes that the scores are comparable across platforms, so if an iPhone 8 scores higher than an i5, then the iPhone 8 is faster than the i5.” '
iPhone X and iPhone 8 Are World's Fastest Phones

Make some music!

ecuk

Re: Time to build Ableton Live for iOS?

Post by ecuk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:32 pm

Sounds like the hardware is up to it, although this has arguably been the case for several years. But… For me there are (at least) five problems:

1. iOS apps are sandboxed in a way that makes sharing of data and files between apps difficult. Real-time inter-app audio does work, however.
2. iOS does not, as far as I know, support non-AU plugins. In particular, no VSTs (which many people rely on for cross-platform compatibility).
3. Max does not run on iOS, so no M4L.
4. The business model within the iOS app world is based on selling a very cheap app to many, many users. To keep app development going financially you either need to continually add unnecessary features to attract new users or, egad, switch to a subscription model.
5. Last and certainly not least, I would not want Ableton to take people and resources away from work on the desktop versions. As it is there are always plenty of bugs to be hunted down and fixed, especially now in the wake of a major update. Besides, I would prefer that any major effort were directed toward new features for Live 10, not toward yet another product.

Anyway, that’s my quick and not all that well thought out thoughts. But then again, hmm… imagining Live on watchOS…
MacBook Pro, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, 2.3GHz i7-1068NG7, 32GB – Live Suite 12.0.1, Max 8.6.2, Push 2, Scarlett 4i4

8E

Post by 8E » Mon May 14, 2018 5:31 am

I believe Apple will make fusion of iOS and MacOS in 5 years.
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon May 14, 2018 5:35 am

8E wrote:I believe Apple will make fusion of iOS and MacOS in 5 years.
Won't happen.
Make some music!