How to record my PC screen and audio while using Live 10

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
vento

How to record my PC screen and audio while using Live 10

Post by vento » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:48 am

Hi. I want to record videos of myself using Live 10 (on Windows 10) with a recording of the screen and the sound output, including my own voice, to make my own tutorials etc.

Perhaps with the ability to include a webcam image in a corner of the screen, although this is a "nice" feature for me, rather than a "must have"!

I've heard of Camtasia, but it's very expensive. What other options are there, that are either free or relatively inexpensive?

Thanks... Phil

mothergarage

Re: How to record my PC screen and audio while using Live 10

Post by mothergarage » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:42 am

home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:07 pm

You might have some issues routing the audio to OBS. You will likely be using an ASIO output from Live, these tend to be single client per stream. There are a few methods around this. EG I have and RME soundcard and that allows the software routing of an output to an input. OBS then records that input.

vento

Post by vento » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:28 pm

Thanks both. I'll give it a try!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:33 am

The way I do it is to rout Live to a set of outputs on my audio interface which then feeds into my mixer which I can then rout back into the record input. I set Nvidia/OBS to record from that input where I also mix a mic if needed through the mixer too. That allows Live to run in normal Asio mode and also records mic and system sounds. Does require an interface with at least 2 sets of outputs (one for main output and one just for Live).

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:39 pm

jestermgee wrote:The way I do it is to rout Live to a set of outputs on my audio interface which then feeds into my mixer.
Yeah that's what the RME TotalMix emulates, a "loopback". Except it performs the routing in the hardware of the unit itself, and it can be recalled in software.

Video on RME TotalMix Loopback https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Zeruz-9Zk

BURN-ADDiCT

Post by BURN-ADDiCT » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:36 pm

vento wrote: I've heard of Camtasia, but it's very expensive. What other options are there, that are either free or relatively inexpensive?
In case you don't have a soundcard and the resources for the solutions that have been suggested. here's what works for most people on a budget. for both of these methods, there are some sacrifices you will have to make, including a bit of latency (because you will have to temporarily forget ASIO, and use Direct Audio (DX or whatever came with your computer).

1. You can get FRAPS, it costs a bit lower than US$40.
this is a very simple screen recorder, very common for youtube game channel owners but it also works well for most other purposes. it might drain your HDD storage though because it does not have a lot of options for video quality (might also train you to keep things brief). There are loads of videos that show you how to use this software, so it wont be hard to troubleshoot if needed.
fraps will record video, but the editing of that video is on you. If you don't already have a video editing software, then option 2 might appeal to you.

2. You can get a personal license of Movavi suite, it costs around US$80.
this includes a screen recorder that has many options, including screen cropping during recording, options for video quality and format, and options to highlight mouse clicks and control audio gain.
part of the included software are video and audio converters, video editing suite (which allow a lot of features that would cost at least $1500 at Adobe).

these are great options, not the best, but I don't think there are any better options at these prices.

I used to have a free screen recording app, but Fraps turned me against it... try it before deciding. both these softwares have demos.

*edit* I just want to add that Movavi has relatively poor support, if you need someone to hold your hand every step of the way, then you'd best avoid it. it's great software for it price though.
"working jobs we hate to pay for sh*t we don't need" - Tyler Durden