BACKING UP to 3rd party ie: Carbonite

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
micksmuse

BACKING UP to 3rd party ie: Carbonite

Post by micksmuse » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm

so i had a backup system with a company that went out of home use biz and i transferred over to CARBONITE cause of a deal i was offered. only to find out that for some reason it won't back up my ableton project files.
we went through troubleshooting to find that for some reason ableton project ALS files and the WAV files & wav asd files for each project are saved as AT (temporary) files on my system and Carbonite will not back up temporary files.

is this normally how ableton saves files? is there a way to set ableton differently so they don't back them up as temp files?
does anyone have this issue or found a work-a-round. thanks.

H20nly

Re: BACKING UP to 3rd party ie: Carbonite

Post by H20nly » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:09 pm

I would try the following;

1. Create a separate project folder (on your desktop, for example)
2. 'Save As' and chose that folder for your active .als set.
3. Now that the set resides in the new folder, perform a 'Collect All & Save' from Live
4. Upload the folder to Carbonite

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:17 pm

hi, yes, i can do that to individual files/projects but i have carbonite set up for daily automatic backup's.
sometimes i work on 20 projects in one day. i am trying to find a way for this to be done automatically and not to individually create new files constantly. just thought there was a way to have ableton not defaut to temporary files.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:53 pm

You can. But, if you do you end up with a lot of files in the cloud. It sounds as though you're asking for a backup solution that knows which parts of the songs you're done with.

try Secretary 3.0 or Intern 2.1 :wink: