Simply sampling straight to a drum rack or similar?

Discuss Push with other users.
The Carpet Cleaner

Simply sampling straight to a drum rack or similar?

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi,

I want to build a drum rack with few samples that I sample directly from spotify, or youtube, or things like that. I have an RME so it's easy to do a loopback in Total Mix sofwatre. So the audio of anything can be routed in ableton as a simple audio extanal input. Golden.

NOW.

How can I do to make things easy. Because at the moment what I do :
1. Create an audio track with corresponding audio input.
2. Record a clip to get the sample.
3. convert it to a simpler.
4. chop the sample
5. CAN'T DO IN PUSH, so with the mouse : Drag and drop the audio clip from simple to an emptly slot in a drum rack in another channel.

Fuck me it's long and boring.

In Maschine MK1, five years ago, I could simply press a pad, hit record, and DONE. So am I missing something here??

Cheers! :mrgreen:

McAnix

Re: Simply sampling straight to a drum rack or similar?

Post by McAnix » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Would also like to know!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:03 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:simply press a pad, hit record, and DONE. So am I missing something here??
A proper Sampler I guess.
Make some music!

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:58 am

?you can convert to drumrack?
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:39 pm

yes but that's not as fast and straight forward. :(

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:24 pm

...?...it's just one click (from push 2)...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:00 pm

yes converting is just one click, but I don't know any way to convert something into an already existing drum rack. That makes the sampling process quite "flow breaking".

So let say I want to sample 10 samples, or capture a Kick from my 909, a clap from my Tempest, a fart from my flat mates, I'll have to record all of them into a separate audio track, then crop it, then convert it, then drag and drop with my mouse to an other created drum rack. Slooooow and boring, isn't it? But it seems there is no solution yet. yep. Whereas a shit low cost mpc can do it.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:18 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:yes converting is just one click, but I don't know any way to convert something into an already existing drum rack. That makes the sampling process quite "flow breaking".

So let say I want to sample 10 samples, or capture a Kick from my 909, a clap from my Tempest, a fart from my flat mates, I'll have to record all of them into a separate audio track, then crop it, then convert it, then drag and drop with my mouse to an other created drum rack. Slooooow and boring, isn't it? But it seems there is no solution yet. yep. Whereas a shit low cost mpc can do it.

If you are just recording one shots, just record everything to one audio track (if reasonably possible), and select slice audio to new track. Chances are Ableton will chop it up pretty well and you would be down to just minor editing (without having to drag anything).

I came from the MPC world (the older ones that is) and find Ableton much quicker.

I've sampled with an MPC 3000 and a mpc2000 (very extensively) and I find the Ableton workflow alot faster. The 3000 didn't even have waveform editing and you just had a knob and had to turn the sample start knob and listen "by ear" to hear if your edits were correct. I remember second guessing myself half of the time (sampling in the 90s) and it probably would take me like 5-10 minutes to properly sample one drum hit. I'll admit I wasn't good at it, but I didn't own the 3000 so I didn't get good at it. The 2000s were alot better with graphic waveform editing (which was very nice), but even that said with the menu flipping I doubt it was even faster than Live. You had to go to about 3 different views to get a sample on a pad (Record mode, edit mode, program edit mode). It probably would take about 1 minute to sample a drum hit at about the fastest rate. I sampled drum machines for the 2000 and it probably did take about an hour or two to do it properly. I think Ableton can do some of this stuff as just a simple click with the slice command but even dragging and dropping aint' that bad (assuming you are right by a mouse and have a decent monitor).

I know Reason allows you to sample directly onto their pads but their waveform editor IMO leaves alot to be desired. I think Maschine is supposed to be better as well but I never got into sampling with that. Haven't had much need to get out of Ableton.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
The Carpet Cleaner wrote:yes converting is just one click, but I don't know any way to convert something into an already existing drum rack. That makes the sampling process quite "flow breaking".

If you are just recording one shots, just record everything to one audio track (if reasonably possible), and select slice audio to new track. Chances are Ableton will chop it up pretty well and you would be down to just minor editing (without having to drag anything).

I came from the MPC world (the older ones that is) and find Ableton much quicker.

I've sampled with an MPC 3000 and a mpc2000 (very extensively) and I find the Ableton workflow alot faster. The 3000 didn't even have waveform editing and you just had a knob and had to turn the sample start knob and listen "by ear" to hear if your edits were correct. I remember second guessing myself half of the time (sampling in the 90s) and it probably would take me like 5-10 minutes to properly sample one drum hit. I'll admit I wasn't good at it, but I didn't own the 3000 so I didn't get good at it. The 2000s were alot better with graphic waveform editing (which was very nice), but even that said with the menu flipping I doubt it was even faster than Live. You had to go to about 3 different views to get a sample on a pad (Record mode, edit mode, program edit mode). It probably would take about 1 minute to sample a drum hit at about the fastest rate. I sampled drum machines for the 2000 and it probably did take about an hour or two to do it properly. I think Ableton can do some of this stuff as just a simple click with the slice command but even dragging and dropping aint' that bad (assuming you are right by a mouse and have a decent monitor).

I know Reason allows you to sample directly onto their pads but their waveform editor IMO leaves alot to be desired. I think Maschine is supposed to be better as well but I never got into sampling with that. Haven't had much need to get out of Ableton.

Recording everything to one audio track is what I do sometimes as well :idea: . But when you fiddle with your sounds before you want to sample them, you end up with a lot of unwanted noise. Ok, Ableton is amazing on a lots of things, even sampling. I just think there is still some stuff to improve :)