Drum Sample Library suggestions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Drum Sample Library suggestions?

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:21 pm

Hey all, recently bought an Elektron Analog Rytm mkII, and I'd like to load it up with some new samples. However, I'm dead sick of the drum samples I've been using for the last few (cough many cough) years so I want to start a new collection from scratch. Looking for any suggestions people might have on their favorite drum libraries with the following caveats:

- I REALLY don't need 5000 kicks, 4000 snares, etc to sort through, so I prefer a more currated approach of less is more. Quality over quantity if you will, I ultimately will only have 64MB to play with on the ARmkII.

- Not after acoustic drums, pre-processed layered synthetic stuff is mainly what I'm after. The kind of stuff you can drop as is into a track and it sounds like it's done.

Thanks for any recommendations!

(I'm not using the excellent samples Live 10 comes with because they are all copy-protected and only work with Live sadly)

jlgrimes

Re: Drum Sample Library suggestions?

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:16 am

Tarekith wrote:Hey all, recently bought an Elektron Analog Rytm mkII, and I'd like to load it up with some new samples. However, I'm dead sick of the drum samples I've been using for the last few (cough many cough) years so I want to start a new collection from scratch. Looking for any suggestions people might have on their favorite drum libraries with the following caveats:

- I REALLY don't need 5000 kicks, 4000 snares, etc to sort through, so I prefer a more currated approach of less is more. Quality over quantity if you will, I ultimately will only have 64MB to play with on the ARmkII.

- Not after acoustic drums, pre-processed layered synthetic stuff is mainly what I'm after. The kind of stuff you can drop as is into a track and it sounds like it's done.

Thanks for any recommendations!

(I'm not using the excellent samples Live 10 comes with because they are all copy-protected and only work with Live sadly)

Most of the Maschine libraries are great. They give you the wave files where you can load into Battery or Drum Racks. Not sure on your genre though.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:44 am

I agree, in fact my last drum library was primarily culled from when I had a Maschine Studio. I still have all the samples, just looking for something a bit different than those which I'm used to. Good idea though, thanks!

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:29 pm

This might be an open door, but have you checked out Elektron's sample packs? https://www.elektron.se/soundpacks/
I looked into them for the Digitakt that I thought I needed and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this pack: https://www.elektron.se/soundpacks/2323/

That pack appears to be co-produced by https://samplesfrommars.com/ so that might be worth looking at as well.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:30 pm

Good idea, thanks!

daizok

Post by daizok » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:47 am

Hi Erik,

Maybe you own them already, but if not, there are many nice samples in the Goldbaby collections, allthough you'll have to go through them a couple of times to pick the stuff you like, as these packs are not quite 'less is more'. On the upside; there's not much in the spectrum you cannot find in these packs.

Cheers,
Daiz

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:17 am

i really can second Goldbaby and Samples from Mars. Highly usable in my opinion .
ritsch, ratsch, klick

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:37 am

I 2nd Samples from Mars.

login

Post by login » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Wave alchemy Synth drums and Sys100 drums are two very good libraries consisting of programmed drums that are not the usual 808/909 sounds, they are diverse and different options of processing.

ALso check Mode Audio products, they have some good drums libraries.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks everyone, picked up some Goldbaby packs a couple days ago so I'm all sorted now. Appreciate all the advice.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:46 pm

Tarekith wrote:Thanks everyone, picked up some Goldbaby packs a couple days ago so I'm all sorted now. Appreciate all the advice.
More importantly, tell us about the Elektron, mate? ;)

I love what those guys do and will hopefully be getting the Analog 4 Mk II in a few months...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:57 pm

How about a video review?

https://youtu.be/kLk0zuz34tA

8)

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Tarekith wrote:How about a video review?

https://youtu.be/kLk0zuz34tA

8)
Wait, you did that just for me? LOL. Wicked - checking it out now.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:34 pm

Yeah, I'm crazy fast with the review requests LOL.

daizok

Post by daizok » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:10 am

McAnix wrote:I 2nd Samples from Mars.
These are nice as well, and 99 dollar for everything on sale is a bargain. One thing i like less about the SFM packs is the file formatting and structure which varies within and accross packs and when working with the samples instead of the presets, can be confusing at times. Goldbaby is superconsistent in this area, which saves alot of time incorportating packs in your own library structure.