Live 10 LFO device - how to line it up with the grid?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
ralphonz

Live 10 LFO device - how to line it up with the grid?

Post by ralphonz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:28 pm

I love the LFO device in the new live 10. Been waiting since I first bought version 6 for this.

However, when I press stop it seems to keep running, but I want it aligned to the beat perfectly. Even with reset switched on the beginning of the LFO waveform does not necessarily fall on the beat. Is there a way to hard-sync the LFO? I.E, to have it line up with the "grid" as it were. I want the start position of the LFO to start on beat one when I press play and stay locked to the project beat or whatever sub division I have chosen. I'd then expect the Phase parameter to determine the start point of the waveform.

Stromkraft

Re: Lie 10 LFO device - how to line it up with the grid?

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:50 pm

ralphonz wrote:I love the LFO device in the new live 10. Been waiting since I first bought version 6 for this.

However, when I press stop it seems to keep running, but I want it aligned to the beat perfectly. Even with reset switched on the beginning of the LFO waveform does not necessarily fall on the beat. Is there a way to hard-sync the LFO? I.E, to have it line up with the "grid" as it were. I want the start position of the LFO to start on beat one when I press play and stay locked to the project beat or whatever sub division I have chosen. I'd then expect the Phase parameter to determine the start point of the waveform.
It would appear you need an LFO with a retrigger function adhering to the transport. Not the native one then.

For instance this function:
- Reset: automatically reset the LFO to the value specified by the phase control -- works in Freq or Sync mode
in this product: XLFO -- SubtleSonic tweak 1.0. Pay what you want to pay.
Make some music!

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:43 pm

It would be pretty trivial to watch live's transport and reset the the LFO whenever it goes from stopped to started.
There's also other types of synchronization you could do by watching for changes in frequency, and then resetting on the next specified beat division.

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:59 am

Live 10 LFO on Beat Sync mode always retriggers on play here, and restarts from where it stopped with shift+spacebar. It stays perfectly synced with a beat that fits the LFO rate. You can use "Phase" if you want to adjust the timing.
♥♥♥

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:10 am

pottering wrote:Live 10 LFO on Beat Sync mode always retriggers on play here, and restarts from where it stopped with shift+spacebar. It stays perfectly synced with a beat that fits the LFO rate. You can use "Phase" if you want to adjust the timing.
Viewing the LFO waveform display would have you think otherwise.
Make some music!

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Wed May 02, 2018 12:20 pm

just use the LFO from Max For Live Essentials Pack so far.

ralphonz

Post by ralphonz » Wed May 02, 2018 5:56 pm

ivarin wrote:just use the LFO from Max For Live Essentials Pack so far.
Thats the one we're talking about!!
pottering wrote:Live 10 LFO on Beat Sync mode always retriggers on play here, and restarts from where it stopped with shift+spacebar. It stays perfectly synced with a beat that fits the LFO rate. You can use "Phase" if you want to adjust the timing.
Stromkraft wrote:Viewing the LFO waveform display would have you think otherwise.
Yes the display doesn't show this. I'll test it again later but do you think it's just the display that is at fault? i.e. not resetting to the beat. If so thats a bug no?
dataf1ow wrote:It would be pretty trivial to watch live's transport and reset the the LFO whenever it goes from stopped to started.
There's also other types of synchronization you could do by watching for changes in frequency, and then resetting on the next specified beat division.
Appreciate the suggestion but it's definitely not trivial to have to manually reset every LFO every time you press play. Causes absolute chaos and totally interrupts workflow.

Surely its a simple matter for an LFO to start and stop when you press play in a DAW? Really can't believe this isn't the case.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 pm

ralphonz wrote: Surely its a simple matter for an LFO to start and stop when you press play in a DAW? Really can't believe this isn't the case.
It's a design choice, not a law. I know one thing and that is I'm using the XLFO from now on. Use what you want.
Make some music!

ralphonz

Post by ralphonz » Wed May 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi everyone,

Looks like it is synced now that I test it. Can't explain it but I'm a happy bean.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 03, 2018 11:44 am

Stromkraft wrote:
It's a design choice, not a law. I know one thing and that is I'm using the XLFO from now on. Use what you want.
ralphonz wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:Viewing the LFO waveform display would have you think otherwise.
Yes the display doesn't show this. I'll test it again later but do you think it's just the display that is at fault? i.e. not resetting to the beat. If so thats a bug no?
Follow-up: On closer inspection it would seem that when LFO is set to sync it does indeed reset at restarts to follow transport. Here's my setup to sync to fourths in 130 bpm :

When running free this doesn't seem to be the case, unless you manually hit the little "r" button to reset. Here's the freely running equivalent setting:

Make some music!

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Thu May 03, 2018 1:56 pm

ralphonz wrote:
Thats the one we're talking about!!
there are 2 'native' LFO devices in Live 10.

One of them (on screenshots above) comes with initial installation of L10 Suite. Another one (looks darker one) has been available for a long time in the pack i mentioned.
So the new one doesn't follow Live's clock properly, there is a bug for that on Centercode. Whereas older LFO works fine in sync

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 03, 2018 7:55 pm

ivarin wrote:
One of them (on screenshots above) comes with initial installation of L10 Suite.
or with Max For Live itself as in my case.
ivarin wrote:…the new one doesn't follow Live's clock properly, there is a bug for that on Centercode. Whereas older LFO works fine in sync
I'm not sure what you mean exactly with "doesn't follow Live's clock properly", but my statement above was based on the new version. I didn't do sample accurate test, however; just did it by ear.
Make some music!