What gear do you use for Field Recordings?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tintala

What gear do you use for Field Recordings?

Post by tintala » Fri May 18, 2018 10:06 pm

I love to record outside, i have little tascam DR05, its ok, wondering what everyone else uses to record field recordings? Do you use a mixer, headphones, mic , what recording device?

Shift Gorden

Re: What gear do you use for Field Recordings?

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 pm

tintala wrote:I love to record outside, i have little tascam DR05, its ok, wondering what everyone else uses to record field recordings? Do you use a mixer, headphones, mic , what recording device?
I love the 05!

I use a TASCAM DR44 WL and I absolutely love it. It’s performs great in the field - the mics can pick up a bunch, and the recordings are great quality. Crystal clear.

Bonus, it has to XLR ports to plug external mics in - so useful.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri May 18, 2018 10:40 pm

Rode iXY-L stereo mic and my iPhone. Heck a lot of times I'll just use the iPhone's built in mic and that's it, chaulk up the low fi nature to "character". :)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri May 18, 2018 11:34 pm

Tarekith wrote:Rode iXY-L stereo mic and my iPhone. Heck a lot of times I'll just use the iPhone's built in mic and that's it, chaulk up the low fi nature to "character". :)
Yeah a budding photographer who does pro photography and has $15k+ of gear said he uses his phone 95% of the time for happy snaps because the quality for a general photo simply isn't worth the time to use pro gear. That and he quoted : "it's better to have a moment captured on a shitty phone camera than lose it completely".

I use a Zoom H4N as my recorder connected to a Sound Devices MixPre. Mics I use are a Rode NT4 stereo mic and Rode NTG-3 shotgun depending on the recording. I also use the on-board stereo mics on the Zoom if I need a sound quick. For field/nature recording I have a Blimp wind shield and use an old Canon camera bag that fits everything in it nicely. I have the system all powered from a portable USB battery pack that will run the whole system and mic power for 3 days straight.

I love recording but then editing is a chore which I keep putting off. I have hours of stuff I still need to pick thru.

tintala

Post by tintala » Sat May 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Thanks for the replies, Yesterday we had a severe thunderstorm so I pulled out my DR05 and recorded 6 minutes of thunder and rain, then I plugged it into Live, OMg the sound was so clear and the lower frequencies of the thunder came through really nice. The sound of the rain was crisp and soothing, I could use the recording unprocessed to make a rain meditation or use it as fx in a track , either way it sounded really great. I also recorded some monks in Nepal chanting in a room and the quality was just mesmerizing, although I had the gain way too high, I'm not really experienced at field recordings technically, but i didn't use a windscreen nor headphones, I still got a wonderful recording. If the DR05 works this well for 60$, I wonder what a really nice model would do? thnx guys.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat May 19, 2018 10:26 pm

this is not about the gear, but all this field recording talk prompted me to add that two of the most inspiring field recordists i've come across are Lawrence English and Chris Watson:

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/lawrenc ... rom-field/

https://chriswatsonreleases.bandcamp.com/
http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products ... ed-spaces/
http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products ... geosonics/