Multiple VST folders

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
DrSigMa

Multiple VST folders

Post by DrSigMa » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:23 pm

Having the option to add more than one VST folder in the preferences would be great, Sonar has this feature (but I hate Sonar and it's practically the only thing I like about it) The advantage of having this feature is that you can add one VST folder at a time and Ableton would scan each individual VST folder. So if you have some plugins that crash on scan you could simply only add the folders with the working plugins. It's specially helpful when you have tons of VSTs installed. Scanning tons of VSTs is very time consuming specially when you have many that crash Ableton on scan.

Richie Witch

Re: Multiple VST folders

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:48 pm

This might help you.... Live scans any shortcuts inside the vst folder too, so you can add all the folder shortcuts you want and the Live browser will treat the shortcuts as if the folders are actually in the vst folder.

I know what you mean about multiple folder paths though too. Tracktion has this feature.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

DrSigMa

Post by DrSigMa » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:10 pm

That's cool! Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that. Is it mentioned in the manual? If so, it must have escaped me; the manual is so big, it can become daunting to read it. Still, having the option for multiple VST folders would be an easier way to organize our plugins, I think.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:54 pm

i don't think it's covered in the manual, but the shortcut trick is absolutely the way to go for what you're trying to do.

DrSigMa

Post by DrSigMa » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:27 am

Great! So, basically, what I can do is create a new folder containing only shortcuts to the folders with the vsts I want to use and set this folder as the VST folder in Live preferences. Did I get it right?

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:47 am

Yep, you've got it right. 8)
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

elijahlucian

Post by elijahlucian » Mon May 21, 2018 11:37 pm

seriously..

a multiple folder feature is so needed these days.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue May 22, 2018 6:59 am

elijahlucian wrote:seriously..

Name one reason.
Make some music!

Brian Dowding

Post by Brian Dowding » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
elijahlucian wrote:seriously..

Name one reason.
Not every VST Plugin Manufacturer gives you the option to set what folder they land in.
For example, WAVES.
Of those that give you no option, not all of them go to the same folder.
Ergo why EVERY DAW but Ableton has the option to add multiple VST folder locations.

Reason enough?

JNorman

Post by JNorman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:13 am

crickets. ;)

Matt Mikka

Post by Matt Mikka » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:54 am

no Need for a multiple folder feature, this is what I do. 1. Create a new folder in the "Program Files" folder and name it "all VST Plugins" 2. go to each VST location e.g. "vstplugins" inside the "Steinberg" and native instruments folder and create a shortcut for the actual vst folders, it will usually go to the desktop. 3. rename the shortcuts to correspond to their application e.g. 'Ominsphere" then 4. drag each vst shortcut into the folder you created in step 1. 5. go to abelton preferences and select the "all VST Plugins" folder to scan, all your plugins and the renames will show up in abelton in the plugin directory. any addition plugins get added the same way and its all there. hope this helps someone.

TS

Post by TS » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:43 pm

This is very helpful. Thanks. It's one of those quirks about Ableton that I don't care for. Yes you can add folder shortcuts. Live10 allows you to select another folder in vst section. It can be done. Much easier to do it the way the others do it though IMO. CbB lets you select any and all folders you have plugin in to scan. It is capable to "sandbox" plugins that have expired so they aren't scanned again.

I have over 950 plugins not including the ones in Ableton. I'm sure there are others who have way more. This isn't an easy peasy thing for some people to do. I love Ableton software. Lets continue to get better!
Ableton live 10 standard,Studio One Professional, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum,Mixcraft 8, Komplete 10,Korg legacy collection.
Home built PC i7.HP OMEN laptop. QuNEO. Focusrite and Presonus interfaces. Lotsa midi keyboards and guitars.

Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:14 am

TS wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:43 pm
This is very helpful. Thanks. It's one of those quirks about Ableton that I don't care for. Yes you can add folder shortcuts. Live10 allows you to select another folder in vst section. It can be done. Much easier to do it the way the others do it though IMO. CbB lets you select any and all folders you have plugin in to scan. It is capable to "sandbox" plugins that have expired so they aren't scanned again.

I have over 950 plugins not including the ones in Ableton. I'm sure there are others who have way more. This isn't an easy peasy thing for some people to do. I love Ableton software. Lets continue to get better!
Yeah really. Who wants to fart around with like 950 shortcuts. :lol:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWs and plugins.

keiichi77

Post by keiichi77 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:33 pm

it's pathetic.

Rainstorm

Post by Rainstorm » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:31 am

We really need multiple vst search folders in ableton live 11.
PLEASE