Complicated macros.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
WOODENTOY

Complicated macros.

Post by WOODENTOY » Fri May 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Hello! I wanted to know if there's some way to increase the complexity of the macros in live's groups / audio effects channels. What I'm after is being able to automate, say 6 parameters using one knob, but have each of the parameters move relative to one another, instead of all following the 0-100 of the Macro knob I've attached them to.

An example: Automating 6 EQ bands with one knob, A B C D E F and G. A is 100hz, B 200hz, C 400hz and so on. Moving the Macro knob will get ABCDEFG all to move, but they will retain their starting positions and always stay a certain amount of hz apart to avoid overlap.

Is there some way to do this?

spagbol

Re: Complicated macros.

Post by spagbol » Fri May 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Map to LFO Depth, or Rate, Map the LFO to each EQ Band, perhaps? Or will that not give you the control you need?
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri May 18, 2018 5:33 pm

Have you got MaxforLive??

Cheers
D

timday

Post by timday » Fri May 18, 2018 6:13 pm

If you want to keep them proportionately the same so C is always double B is always double A, can't you use range so A is mapped from 100-1000HZ, B from 200-2000HZ and so on? Or have I totaly misunderstood what you want?

WOODENTOY

Post by WOODENTOY » Tue May 22, 2018 10:46 pm

@spagboi yo! thanks a lot, managed to think up a way to use Max4Live's Envelope to do something similar and it ended up leading me to nice places sound design-wise
@s4racen i do! not a clue how to use it.
@timday is there some way to set a range in ableton for the macros?

sorry, my first post was a bit jumbled. to clarify (and make things a bit simpler):
if you map 3 bands to one MASTER MACRO, you'll just get BAND A, BAND B, and BAND C moving from 0-100 (value of MASTER). what i'd like is to move a MASTER knob and have BAND A, BAND B and BAND C all move but in different ranges. so BAND A may start at 100 hz and move to 200, BAND B at 500 and move to 1000, BAND C at 1000 and move to 2000 and so on.

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Wed May 23, 2018 4:16 am

WOODENTOY wrote: is there some way to set a range in ableton for the macros?

sorry, my first post was a bit jumbled. to clarify (and make things a bit simpler):
if you map 3 bands to one MASTER MACRO, you'll just get BAND A, BAND B, and BAND C moving from 0-100 (value of MASTER). what i'd like is to move a MASTER knob and have BAND A, BAND B and BAND C all move but in different ranges. so BAND A may start at 100 hz and move to 200, BAND B at 500 and move to 1000, BAND C at 1000 and move to 2000 and so on.
of course you can set ranges for each parameter. that`s standard functionality since racks exist.
but if you have maxforlive you can go much further (actually there are many nice macro patches on maxforlive.com)
at the moment i`m working on a version with 32 macros, where you can set not only the ranges but also the curve (or whatever you choose: exponential, up/down, random like, lfo like.
as an addition you also will be able to dynamically assign macro groups to control a few macros together, without loosing control over the dial as you would normally do when you control a parameter from live.
and if you want you can even connect a step sequencer to every macro which output would be scaled then by the position of the macro :)

WOODENTOY

Post by WOODENTOY » Wed May 23, 2018 12:44 pm

stoersignal wrote:
WOODENTOY wrote: is there some way to set a range in ableton for the macros?

of course you can set ranges for each parameter. that`s standard functionality since racks exist.
but if you have maxforlive you can go much further (actually there are many nice macro patches on maxforlive.com)
at the moment i`m working on a version with 32 macros, where you can set not only the ranges but also the curve (or whatever you choose: exponential, up/down, random like, lfo like.
as an addition you also will be able to dynamically assign macro groups to control a few macros together, without loosing control over the dial as you would normally do when you control a parameter from live.
and if you want you can even connect a step sequencer to every macro which output would be scaled then by the position of the macro :)
ah! i just found this:
didn't know you could set ranges, that helps loads.

and that patch sounds right up my alley! if you plan to release it publicly, could you let me know when it's finished?
what are some of your favorite maxforlive.com patches?

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Wed May 23, 2018 5:44 pm

WOODENTOY wrote:@spagboi yo! thanks a lot, managed to think up a way to use Max4Live's Envelope to do something similar and it ended up leading me to nice places sound design-wise
good to know, envelope follower opens up many opportunities, and is just the tip of the iceberg, as I am quickly finding out.

Id also be interested in stoersignal's patch if he publicly releases it, which would be very kind of him if he did.
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Thu May 24, 2018 3:59 am

i will share it of course! but don`t ask me when it`s finished :), as i know from experience that i will run into some unforeseen problems + i am going to have further ideas along the way, which probably introduce some new new problems again.........

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Thu May 24, 2018 7:45 pm

cheers man. look forward to taking a look at it.