Key Scale and Chord Tracks to Improve Composing

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
sambaji

Re: Key Scale and Chord Tracks to Improve Composing

Post by sambaji » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Hopefully, there is someone from Ableton which is closely monitoring the Feature Request section of the forum. So far, I haven't seen much indication, interaction on their part, that Ableton is reading our suggestions. I am use to forums such as Musescore.org's where developers are actively involved in the forum discussions.

timotholt

Post by timotholt » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:10 pm

I was so frustrated today editing dozens of MIDI clips in a song today, changing the key of a song...

2018 and How are scales STILL not implemented in the MIDI note editor?

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:43 pm

timotholt wrote:I was so frustrated today editing dozens of MIDI clips in a song today, changing the key of a song...

2018 and How are scales STILL not implemented in the MIDI note editor?
Scales are implemented as a MIDI Effect.

You don't even need to edit a single note.
♥♥♥

lucaspottersky

Post by lucaspottersky » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:19 pm

this looks so invasive that seems like a whole new software would solve this problem better.

programmers out there, maybe its your turn to create "the next Ableton Live".
Please support my Feature Request: loop record (cycle record) in Ableton Live

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:26 pm

People can build them already with MIDI Effect Racks and Chains with "Show Names in MIDI Editor" option.

In fact, this nice person already did:

https://michaelphines.github.io/scale-f ... ct-device/

Download them, unzip and drop one of them in a empty MIDI Track, then create a MIDI Clip and check the Piano Roll.

It will have the ONLY the scale notes, with nice named notes, he even added a nice "?" to mark them.

90% of the feature requests in this forum can be done already on Live.
♥♥♥

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:42 pm

lucaspottersky wrote:this looks so invasive that seems like a whole new software would solve this problem better.

programmers out there, maybe its your turn to create "the next Ableton Live".
What's "invasive"? The Scale MIDI effect?

What weird word to use. Especially since scales on the Piano Roll fit the word "invasive" better, they change and restrict much more than the Scale MIDI Effect.

That suggestion was for "timotholt", who was changing the scale and key of pre-existing MIDI sequences.

Scale is perfect for that, as you don't even need to edit anything, just plunk it before the instrument, way easier than selecting and right-clicking stuff, can also change the scale on the fly, both using classic scale presets or creating new unique scales.

Plus the underrated simple option of turning on and off the MIDI Effects, a much faster way of AB'ing scales and keys than selecting and right-clicking stuff in other DAWs.

For people that are creating new MIDI sequences, then, again, Michael Phines' work will help them:

https://michaelphines.github.io/scale-f ... ct-device/
♥♥♥

Tau7ty6

Post by Tau7ty6 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:40 am

+1 Well done for an excellent presentation! Such changes should have been integrated a long time ago. The fact that the company hasn't done so reflects very poorly on it and it's simply sad that we users have had to bear the brunt of it for so long. Almost all the other well known DAWs have incorporated such changes in keeping with the times!
Also the fact that this was presented way back in 2013 and we're now in 2020 says a lot about the developers and this DAW.
Ableton wake up! The GUI needs a refresh and these changes are sorely needed now more than ever. I hope to see this in the next version else sadly, I have to move on to another DAW.

lycc4n

Post by lycc4n » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:07 am

Should I still do witchcraft for the scales?

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:54 pm

Man, it gets really tiring hearing people bash a company because it doesn't do things exactly the way they want. Many musicians have zero need for chord tracks or scale constraints. But they are there if you need them, just not in the form you're used to.