Getting midi out from a channel other than 1?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mike_o

Getting midi out from a channel other than 1?

Post by mike_o » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:52 am

is there a way to get midi out from a vst on a channel other than 1?

I'm programming this instrument in reaktor and I've set it up so that the sequencer outputs note data on channel 1 for the sequencer itself.

on channel 2 it outputs clock sync midi notes to synchronize other instruments with itself.

it has a random shuffler/slicer effect on the midi sequencer that creates drum fills and rolls, I created a system where other instances of reaktor can follow along to the shuffler/slicer timing and follow along to the random steps in the sequencer.

the shuffler/slicer info is output on midi channel 2.

I need to set the second instance of reaktor to receive midi from the first instance of reaktor on channel 2.

can ableton receive midi from a vst into another track on channel 2.

Thanks.

jestermgee

Re: Getting midi out from a channel other than 1?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:54 am

mike_o wrote:is there a way to get midi out from a vst on a channel other than 1?

I'm programming this instrument in reaktor and I've set it up so that the sequencer outputs note data on channel 1 for the sequencer itself.

on channel 2 it outputs clock sync midi notes to synchronize other instruments with itself.

it has a random shuffler/slicer effect on the midi sequencer that creates drum fills and rolls, I created a system where other instances of reaktor can follow along to the shuffler/slicer timing and follow along to the random steps in the sequencer.

the shuffler/slicer info is output on midi channel 2.

I need to set the second instance of reaktor to receive midi from the first instance of reaktor on channel 2.

can ableton receive midi from a vst into another track on channel 2.

Thanks.

You need to load a second MIDI track with Reactor loaded and set the MIDI From to the first track, then set your channel:

Should be the way

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:11 am

Has the limitation with just channel 1 in Live been lifted? I never had to try channel separation, but this limitation have been repeated often.
Make some music!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:59 am

...i also don't have any problems with channel separation BUT: when i have selected e.g. midi channel 4 for one track i'm not able to play the instrument on this channel with my push...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:30 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...i also don't have any problems with channel separation BUT: when i have selected e.g. midi channel 4 for one track i'm not able to play the instrument on this channel with my push...

that's not what we're talking about, If you load a vst that offers midi output, you can only capture midi from channel one.