Push 3

Discuss Push with other users.
jestermgee

Re: Push 3

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:12 am

Trevbo wrote:It will be release in late 2017. I'll check back here in November. Peace and happy music making.
Yeah right. Best go back in time where you came from then because you missed that boat.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Please read the community guidelines at the top of each forum, we don’t allow insulting other forum members here.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:37 pm

Trevbo wrote:
jestermgee wrote:
Trevbo wrote:It will be release in late 2017. I'll check back here in November. Peace and happy music making.
Yeah right. Best go back in time where you came from then because you missed that boat.

ahhh, Jestermgee, your reputation of a sad hater precedes you. You have a very low IQ for sure.
:lol:

Right in the feels. You seem to know me so well and articulate your thoughts with such finesse. Guess we will see you back here in November of last year.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Ok, everyone has share his little rant. Can we stop now so we don't need to lock the thread?
Thx
Ableton Forum Moderator

theAndroid

Post by theAndroid » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:20 pm

I agree with the 4-5 years lifecycle mentioned here, that's pretty much what I think - so late 2018 or 2019 - and I'm pretty sure they are already working on it because it takes time to innovate and design / prototype this kind of product.
I've owned Push 1 & 2, but finally got back to Maschine (MK3). I wish I still had the Push 2, because it was a lot of fun but I had to choose between one or the other, and from a creation perspective Maschine looked more "integrated".

What would really make me go back to Push :
  • no external power supply needed at all - for now, pads or screens or too dimmed for me - or at least a lot more lights when unplugged (Maschine MK3 is impressive on this aspect)
  • even bigger screens
  • a way to prepare a song structure in the arrangement view, i.e. adding scenes to arrangement directly (without having to perform the recording in realtime)
  • an integrated MIDI arpeggiator - I like to record individual midi notes from the arp so right now I need to set up 2 tracks, one with the arp etc... Having the arp directly available would really simplify my life. Actually I don't even understand why the "Repeat" button is just repeating the last note played. It could be an integrated arp by pressing SHIFT+REPEAT to lock it and access different parameters on the screens (style, rate, octaves etc... no need to reinvent the wheel it's already there through the arp device)
  • more a Live feature but the ability to structure VST parameters by pages and rename parameters is really necessary ("cutoff" instead of a cryptic "OSC1FLTCTF" from the VST developer). The way Ableton does with its own devices where everything is correctly labeled and gathered, but extended to third parties VST.
  • an integrated audio and MIDI interface - nothing huge but at least 2 lines in, 1 XLR mic, 1 MIDI IN, 2 MIDI OUT, 2 lines out, 1 headphone for portable / live recordings
As I've just upgraded to Live 10 Suite, a Push 3 with these features would be a no-brainer AT ALL.
I'm waiting :D

blof_eld

Post by blof_eld » Mon May 14, 2018 6:27 am

Your arpeggiator idea is genius and I now remember that I actually was surprised that it didn't work like that the first time I used it. The repeat functionality just never felt "right" to me, and now I understand that that is the reason why.

I'm not interested in, and won't pay extra for, standalone functionality because I don't need to pay more for hardware that will be completely obsolete in a couple of years. Also there's no chance of a standalone device having the power to run VSTs, etc. A laptop is fine thanks. Push 2 is expensive enough as it is.

I would like some kind of patch changing functionality to be implemented for VSTs, it's ridiculous that you have to use the mouse to change patches in some VSTs. I am aware of MIDI Program Change messages but it's pretty clunky. I should be able to record a clip and have it linked to the patch I recorded it with, without mucking around and adding another device just to send Program Changes. Probably would need Ableton to propose some kind of standard way for VSTs to handle this.

Also the parameter names should be editable like you suggest.

Integrated audio in/out would be cool but not essential. Also I doubt it would be possible to provide 48V phantom power for mics using only USB.

Also on my wishlist:

Some assignable buttons
Crossfader (with user-replaceable fader for when it inevitably breaks)
Adjustable sensitivity for knobs - why isn't this already a thing?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 am

The obvious "Push 3" is the Akai MPC Live, ain't it? Given you can hack it, install Windows, or better yet just the sufficient Windows API emulations, to run Live with your own OS hooks to control it. It'll probably just take few years of full-time work.

One of my collaborators that got me hooked on Live now uses the MPC Live exclusively. I like Live too much to follow.
Make some music!

login

Post by login » Mon May 14, 2018 5:55 pm

blof_eld wrote:Your arpeggiator idea is genius and I now remember that I actually was surprised that it didn't work like that the first time I used it. The repeat functionality just never felt "right" to me, and now I understand that that is the reason why.

I'm not interested in, and won't pay extra for, standalone functionality because I don't need to pay more for hardware that will be completely obsolete in a couple of years. Also there's no chance of a standalone device having the power to run VSTs, etc. A laptop is fine thanks. Push 2 is expensive enough as it is.

I would like some kind of patch changing functionality to be implemented for VSTs, it's ridiculous that you have to use the mouse to change patches in some VSTs. I am aware of MIDI Program Change messages but it's pretty clunky. I should be able to record a clip and have it linked to the patch I recorded it with, without mucking around and adding another device just to send Program Changes. Probably would need Ableton to propose some kind of standard way for VSTs to handle this.

Also the parameter names should be editable like you suggest.

Integrated audio in/out would be cool but not essential. Also I doubt it would be possible to provide 48V phantom power for mics using only USB.

Also on my wishlist:

Some assignable buttons
Crossfader (with user-replaceable fader for when it inevitably breaks)
Adjustable sensitivity for knobs - why isn't this already a thing?

Don't count on having any kind of control over VST presets, the problem is quite complicated, the VST standard does allow the DAW to see presets but many developers don't implement their preset system the way it is specified, many use their own system so it is very complicated to implement any solution from the DAW.

I don't think even the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol which gives access to the plugin browsers has the ability to automate preset changes.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon May 14, 2018 6:05 pm

login wrote:
I don't think even the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol which gives access to the plugin browsers has the ability to automate preset changes.
Yes, I think one solution maybe could be mapping control applications that save its own presets and control the parameters (128 of them anyway). I think Isotonik has one but I forgot the name.
Make some music!

dreamer55

Post by dreamer55 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:22 am

If Ableton is listening:

PLEASE INCLUDE THIS TO PUSH 3!!!

1) Audio interface integrated, at least stereo in/out, better 2x IN for more machines on stage without an additional mixer (yes, Octatrack killer... I only still use Octatrack live on stage for inputs and portability... )
2) CV/GATE out and 4 - 8 CV INPUTs !!!
3) Maybe MORE KNOBS and maybe a bank of 8 free ASSIGNABLE KNOBS not at the top, but maybe on the left (yes, new MPCs are very clever and easy to use with this lefty knobs )
4) MIDI Arpeggiator on board

and if you want to make a truly KILLER product, yes - make it stand alone, but I'm not sure if it gonna happen anytime soon...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:16 am

dreamer55 wrote: 1) Audio interface integrated, at least stereo in/out, better 2x IN for more machines on stage without an additional mixer (yes, Octatrack killer... I only still use Octatrack live on stage for inputs and portability... )
RME or forget it. 2 in? 24 in/out or forget it.
dreamer55 wrote: 2) CV/GATE out and 4 - 8 CV INPUTs !!!
I get the outs, but what should the inputs do? Convert to MIDI? This does sound expensive as this is audio ins as well.
dreamer55 wrote: 3) Maybe MORE KNOBS and maybe a bank of 8 free ASSIGNABLE KNOBS not at the top, but maybe on the left (yes, new MPCs are very clever and easy to use with this lefty knobs )
I assume you mean both top and side knobs, right? And not moved knobs…
dreamer55 wrote: 4) MIDI Arpeggiator on board
You do know that the program logic is not inside the Push, right? It's in Live. And that Live comes with Arpeggiators? So what would "on board" mean?
dreamer55 wrote: and if you want to make a truly KILLER product, yes - make it stand alone
If Ableton would choose to add Linux support — which they should — this could be done at a price. Stand alone products has not stood up that great to time, I think. If something goes down everything is down until you got repairs as it can't just get replaced. So a Pro user would have to get a backup solution as well, maybe even getting two.
Make some music!

dreamer55

Post by dreamer55 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Stromkraft wrote: RME or forget it. 2 in? 24 in/out or forget it.
I use RME UCX - great sound, but hate to bring each time >1000$ of additional gear to a small club/bar gigs, it's risky and unreasonable + it's additional >3kg of weight, so if I travel by airplane = no good. If you play live often it's quite a notable disadvantage. Just for example - Maschine MK3 has stereo out + 3 inputs of "ok quality", which is enough. RME is a studio or big events option.
Stromkraft wrote: I get the outs, but what should the inputs do? Convert to MIDI? This does sound expensive as this is audio ins as well.
Not sure if it's hard/expensive to implement. Yes, maybe it's not worth it... but would be amazing to control efx/synth parameters with my modular rig = new world of integration...
Stromkraft wrote: I assume you mean both top and side knobs, right? And not moved knobs…
Yes, main knobs on the top + additional bank of free assignable knobs on the side... yes, hard to fit it into the design, the unit will be bigger... but however I still have to bring each time a small Korg nanostudio for immediate access to fx parameters, for live quick access is essential.
Stromkraft wrote: ou do know that the program logic is not inside the Push, right? It's in Live. And that Live comes with Arpeggiators? So what would "on board" mean?
Yes, there's the Arp inside Live, but it's too slow to press "add device + choose Arp + press Load" with Push 2 only if you want to play a fast arp pattern in the middle of the track. The Apr functionality could be for example implemented into the "Repeat" button (double press ) for immediate access.

Yes, all is questionable... Maybe what I wanted to say is: now Push 2 is amazing studio controller, but for the really stellar live experience it should be tweaked and optimized. I guess a lot of people would pay more for such a revision.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:21 pm

dreamer55 wrote:Maybe what I wanted to say is: now Push 2 is amazing studio controller, but for the really stellar live experience it should be tweaked and optimized. I guess a lot of people would pay more for such a revision.
With the right balance, I think you might be right on this.
Make some music!

login

Post by login » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:55 pm

IF they include an interface the DRIVERS have to be as good as RME or don't bother, I couldn't care less about "audio quality" (pretty much all converters are more than good enough), but the drivers are what really matters to make any audio interface usable.

HotLoveDrama

Post by HotLoveDrama » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:47 am

Coming at Loop 2018 ? What do you think ?