Chord Device Bug(?)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
InGridient

Chord Device Bug(?)

Post by InGridient » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:43 pm

On its own a chord device works without a problem but when inside a midi effect rack it often mistriggers playing only one note from the chord. It happens often when playing notes that are overlapping. Any idea how to fix that?
I´m running version 10.

thanks

daizok

Re: Chord Device Bug(?)

Post by daizok » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Did you make sure you're not exceeding the voice count of the instrument?

InGridient

Post by InGridient » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Thank you for replying!
I've tested your idea with two instruments set to 32 voices... still, I get weird results :o

Image Image Image Image

daizok

Post by daizok » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:07 pm

That looks a bit off indeed, which devices make up the midi chain?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:25 pm

I've no idea if this is intentional but it's been this way for a long time. Chord chokes all notes when it receives a note that's the same as one of its Shift note dials.

e.g. Add a Chord device and set one of its Shift dials to +5. Now hold C3 and play G2. As C3 and G2 are a 5th apart, the G2 will stop the C3 and its added 5th - my guess is this is what you're experiencing.
Not a good explanation i know - hard to explain, easier to show an example project...

Example project: download

The 'OK' clip plays the notes as expected (notes in clip are 7th apart)
The 'NOT OK' clip chokes the second note (notes in clip are 5th apart, matching the Chord device's +5 shift)

InGridient

Post by InGridient » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:27 am

thanks for looking into it!

@daizok
this is my device chain: Image

So it's only a midi effect rack full of chord devices that are mapped to a scale. After that, the midi effect rack goes to an instrument.

@garyboozy
Oh, I see...I think it would be nice to have a button that toggles between retriggering and intelligently holding a voice when its already playing (I hope that is you mean?) that would be great. :)
But my problem is that sometimes, some overlapping voices are being cut off to a 1/64th length.

Here is a project that uses two chord devices that are playing over the same set of notes. One seems to work, and one doesn't:
download