Default grid/zoom for new MIDI cllips?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
akm

Default grid/zoom for new MIDI cllips?

Post by akm » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:22 am

Is there a way to set the default grid/zoom for new MIDI clips? Mine are always Adaptive-Narrow and zoomed a lot. Also it is rather annoying that even if I set it to what I need still all the new clips in the same track are still appear with that default settings.

Stromkraft

Re: Default grid/zoom for new MIDI cllips?

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:37 pm

akm wrote:Is there a way to set the default grid/zoom for new MIDI clips? Mine are always Adaptive-Narrow and zoomed a lot. Also it is rather annoying that even if I set it to what I need still all the new clips in the same track are still appear with that default settings.
I actually can't find the source for this, but Save as Default MIDI Track seems to ignore clip settings. It could be this is governed by your default template set if you have made your own that gets loaded every time you start a new project.

My defaults seems to zoom to clip length with 16ths for 1 bar clips and 4ths or bars for longer recordings.

Do you by any chance have a big screen and record short clips?
Make some music!

akm

Post by akm » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:48 pm

Yes, it seems to be impossible.

I guess it is better to describe as the grid is always in Adaptive - Narrow state (which I very much dislike. Say, I work on a single track (channel), add new clips and need it to be all the way Fixed - Eights, but it keep resetting all the time).

And it always zooms to something close to an octave vertically, even if the MIDI edit part is already resized.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:54 pm

akm wrote:Yes, it seems to be impossible.
Did you see Martin Gifford's reply before yours here in Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge?

I'm trying those now.
Make some music!

akm

Post by akm » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:49 am

Yes I did. It is obviously cool that live can open your projects, including the default one, exactly as you left them, including even the selection, play head position, zooms, etc. But seems no easy way to set the default ... at least grid settings for the new midi clips.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:33 pm

akm wrote:Yes I did. It is obviously cool that live can open your projects, including the default one, exactly as you left them, including even the selection, play head position, zooms, etc. But seems no easy way to set the default ... at least grid settings for the new midi clips.
It must be governed by something as you have a different default than I have. So can't be impossible.
Make some music!

akm

Post by akm » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:20 am

Stromkraft wrote:
akm wrote:Yes I did. It is obviously cool that live can open your projects, including the default one, exactly as you left them, including even the selection, play head position, zooms, etc. But seems no easy way to set the default ... at least grid settings for the new midi clips.
It must be governed by something as you have a different default than I have. So can't be impossible.
From what you write previously it seems to be exactly the same in your case - "16ths for 1 bar clips and 4ths or bars for longer recordings" = Adaptive grid - Narrow. At least Adaptive is for sure, but maybe you have something other then Narrow, Medium?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:57 am

akm wrote: From what you write previously it seems to be exactly the same in your case - "16ths for 1 bar clips and 4ths or bars for longer recordings" = Adaptive grid - Narrow. At least Adaptive is for sure, but maybe you have something other then Narrow, Medium?
My new clips in new tracks get a fixed grid of 16ths. Of course, the grid and the zoom factor are 2 different things. I have made my own track templates that may affect this.
Make some music!

akm

Post by akm » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:31 am

Stromkraft wrote:
My new clips in new tracks get a fixed grid of 16ths. Of course, the grid and the zoom factor are 2 different things. I have made my own track templates that may affect this.
Interesting. I'm not able to replicate it whatever I try with defaults. Any idea? Could you please share your project that you have as a default one? Also I don't like new midi clips always have a loop set always on.

DrisMusic

Post by DrisMusic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:23 am

I know this is a semi-old thread but if anyone has figured out a workaround I am all ears. Or, if the Ableton gods are watching, saving default MIDI clip settings would be awesome in an update. I teach a class in Ableton and this is an early source of confusion. Default fixed 1/16th notes would likely prevent said confusion. :?: :roll:

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:39 am

Yeah looks like another broken ass function in ableton...

How about a mobile view for the forum one day!? Haha, what a joke.

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:50 am

I'm still resetting my clip grid every damn time I make a new clip. Anyone figured this out?

iloyd2

Post by iloyd2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:16 am

cmprvndncr wrote:I'm still resetting my clip grid every damn time I make a new clip. Anyone figured this out?
+1

It seems like a little thing, but unnecessary actions like that, that you need to repeat 1000 times a day takes the joy out of using a daw. Recording midi clips and adding notes to midi clips keep changing the grid while all I need is a 1/16 note.

spencerdwight

Post by spencerdwight » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:28 pm

I would love to see a menu option for this as well. :idea:
I like to write in 32T and resizing grids often with cmd+123.

kent.karakas

Post by kent.karakas » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:09 am

This is really annoying. Ableton is a well thought out program so I am a bit surprised that this is a thing. And it wouldn't be too hard to just include an option in the preferences menu. Please Ableton, fix this!