$ Make Some Money $

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sillyrobin

$ Make Some Money $

Post by sillyrobin » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Hey guys !

I thought I'd let all my fellow Ableton users know that the video game company UIBISOFT is looking for music for there new game called Beyond Good & Evil 2. It's set up at Hitrecord and any 1 is welcome to join.

There looking for musical seeds, beats, samples and riffs that we can develop into space pirate songs! Kind of like grand theft auto's Radio. You can remix any track and Geist is Ableton for shaking up a track. So all you Gurus get at it!!!

Any way I hope some of you join us and have fun.

Here is the link

https://hitrecord.org/projects/3504243/ ... ibute=true

pottering

Re: $ Make Some Money $

Post by pottering » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:43 pm

This is spec work, the almost opposite of "$make some money$", complete exploitation.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/16/17 ... l-2-nospec
As of this writing, the nine projects have generated a total of more than 3,700 submissions. That’s a whole lot of unpaid labor. And for the undefined number of participants who will get paid, $50,000 is an incredibly small pie to split among everyone who will be selected for the honor of having their work appear in Beyond Good & Evil 2
Ubisoft is a $7 billion corporation.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is Hollywood actor that probably blows $50k in overpriced alcohol in a single weekend in LA clubs.

Gotta laugh when Gordon-Levitt claims in his defense:

"Ubisoft is not cutting any corners. HITRECORD’s contribution to Beyond Good & Evil 2 has not resulted in a single job lost. They’re not doing this to save time and money."

$50k for dozens of works (9 projects x X works per project) from 3700+ submissions is LITERALLY "cutting corners".
♥♥♥

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:22 pm

pottering wrote:This is spec work, the almost opposite of "$make some money$", complete exploitation.
Yeah thanks for saying this. [SNIP!]
Last edited by lowshelf on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:50 pm

I must admit that I've noticed this thread and am feeling quite uncomfortable about it. The topic title indeed talks for itself...
Ableton Forum Moderator

sillyrobin

Post by sillyrobin » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:45 pm

You guys are not alone. I though I would just pass the word along about the project and didn't know it would open up such a can of warms. Instead of repeating my self see what happen when I made the same post on gearsluts. Not many people were happy about it.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-f ... money.html

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:37 pm

sillyrobin wrote:I made the same post on gearsluts. Not many people were happy about it.
Yeah i'm not surprised you were shot down over there, Gearsluts is like the wild west and the first post on that thread pretty much sums things up. Something like this will be picked apart for days.

djsinistral

Post by djsinistral » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:12 am

Whenever a large company runs a public competition to source content for a commercial release (in this case, a game), it seems more like a marketing process than some altruistic motivation to give unknown artists some exposure.