Question about Volume and Dummy Tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Caligula Cuddles

Question about Volume and Dummy Tracks

Post by Caligula Cuddles » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:06 am

I've recently changed my setup and added a dummy track for an audio in, but noticed some issues with the volume. For some reason, the audio to the dummy tack is much louder coming into the dummy tack. I added a Utility Effect to the main audio track to lower the output volume and set the dummy to Post FX, but even when the signal level of the audio track looks to be at the same level as before, it seems like I'm still getting a little more volume output from the dummy track. It's not a huge deal, because I can alway keep adjusting it until I find a sweet spot, but I was curious as to where that extra volume comes from.

Stromkraft

Re: Question about Volume and Dummy Tracks

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:23 am

Caligula Cuddles wrote: I was curious as to where that extra volume comes from.
Well, do the same audio play back trough more than the dummy track? If so, that's it.
Make some music!

Caligula Cuddles

Post by Caligula Cuddles » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:48 am

Stromkraft wrote:Well, do the same audio play back trough more than the dummy track? If so, that's it.
Just tried that. Still got a boost through a new, empty dummy track. Running it through multiple dummies causes even more of a volume increase.
I feel like I read about this somewhere, but I don't remember the details.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:00 am

Caligula Cuddles wrote: Just tried that. Still got a boost through a new, empty dummy track. Running it through multiple dummies causes even more of a volume increase.
I feel like I read about this somewhere, but I don't remember the details.
This is normal summing. All frequencies are summed together before the output. If you have two sources in your mixer with the same signal, the amplitudes are summed together on all frequencies in that signal.

Is your dummy track supposed to add to source or replace it? If the latter, you need to tap the source pre-fader, i e "PostFX", and inactivate it. If you're using sends, set that send to "Pre".
Make some music!