ipad with audio interface AND midi controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
badkop

ipad with audio interface AND midi controller

Post by badkop » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi all

I'm dipping my toe into using my ipad for live stage use, and am trying to find the best solution for having an audio interface and also being able to use a USB midi controller at the same time. So far the iRig pro 2 duo looks like it might do it, but I'm confused about whether the MIDI in on the unit will require a controller with an actual MIDI cable or whether I'll be able to route for example my MIDI footswitch (which uses a standard USB connection) through the iRig? Or should I be thinking about USB hubs or something?

All advice greatly appreciated.

yur2die4

Re: ipad with audio interface AND midi controller

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:09 am

I don’t mess with devices made Only for iOS. I use standard audio interfaces and the usb3 adapter.

When using that, it is easy to get a warning saying a device draws too much power. This is where the powered USB hub is essential.

A great alternative is if you have a Bluetooth midi controller. Then you’ll only need to connect an interface. Most newer Bluetooth midi controllers are about on par with USB connected ones. Work great.

badkop

Post by badkop » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks! Yeah I've kept digging since I posted this yesterday and was about to go out and buy the usb3 adapter; looks like the way to go as you say. I already have a zoom H4 N pro and I'm going to see if I can get that talking to it first, then look into USB hubs for controllers, although if you have any reccommendations for bluetooth controllers that'd be brilliant (I know there's ik multimedia blueboard but 4 buttons and no dials could get limiting).

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:51 pm

I can use my standard H4n as an interface. Has nice input options but the output is still just a 1/8' jack.

As for Bluetooth, my personal experience is with they Korg NanoKey Sudio. It works flawlessly but the 'keyboard' sucks as a standard keyboard. The keyboard has some awesome functionality (in key modes etc) but it still doesn't come close to the 'feel' of a keyboard. Makes clack noises that kind of ruin the experience. There are also Bluetooth midi 'puck's or whatever they are. But I don't know if those support USB midi devices.

Lots of trial and error and compromises. Just try to avoid going cheap and off brand. Sometimes you end up buying the more expensive option anyway.

badkop

Post by badkop » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:03 pm

Thanks again. I tried my zoom h4 successfully today so I think I've saved myself a purchase! Looking into the nanostudio tomorrow. Things already sounding good:)

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:55 am

We do improv Glitch Music on Twitch and have a day for only android & iOS devices. With the iPhone 6s I use the apple usb3 dongle with a Quneo midi controller and it does not need a powered hub. Neither does the Qunexus controller. Most other USB MIDI controllers that I have used draw too much power for stand alone operation. The KMI controllers do not draw too much power.

We also use an iPhone 4s, with the iRig MIDI interface. It runs 'Link to MIDI' so the 4s syncs the TB3 and the Electribe (by the Link clock from the 6s).

Using phones as instruments not DAWs, we do not utilize audio interfaces. I find the common iOS audio buzz /ground loop hum is alleviated by using a DC USB power banks to charge iOS devices during jam sessions.

We just ordered the Akai Bluetooth MIDI pad controller to give Bluetooth a shot. Should be nice to have 8 real knobs controlling apps. The Quneo is perfect for mapping to the ElasticDrums & ElasticFX apps.
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.