after saving an instrument rack/effects rack; new sets use

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
aratunes

after saving an instrument rack/effects rack; new sets use

Post by aratunes » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:35 pm

I make tweaks to instrument racks or effects racks and then use the "disk icon" to save (overwriting the existing named version). Then when I open a new set which also uses the SAME rack; the changes are not there.
Request: If a rack has been saved as a preset, allow it to be loaded automatically in all sets using that named version of the rack.

Ara

www.eiss.cool

Stromkraft

Re: after saving an instrument rack/effects rack; new sets use

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:54 pm

aratunes wrote:I make tweaks to instrument racks or effects racks and then use the "disk icon" to save (overwriting the existing named version). Then when I open a new set which also uses the SAME rack; the changes are not there.
Request: If a rack has been saved as a preset, allow it to be loaded automatically in all sets using that named version of the rack.
Presets saved with the set override the preset itself; the presets can be reloaded manually if you want to leave what was saved. I'm sorry but I'll have to protest your suggestion here; your idea of presets that change "behind the scenes" is limiting, less useful than now and will never happen. Learn how Live works instead. That's more rewarding in the long run.
Make some music!

chrk

Post by chrk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:18 pm

... and if a preset has been deleted, should it vanish from all the sets that use it?

aratunes

Post by aratunes » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Nonsense!
What is the point of saving a preset if your sets won't load it in?
I've made versions "name-1" "name-2", but if you save and hit enter it overwrites with the same name.
I have 7 different performance sets, with 100s of clips, which take lots of time to load- and I've gone through opened them one by one and swapped out the racks.

My suggestion, you won't have to load it in for all sets that use it.

I think it would be an excellent time saver, if you have tweaked a rack and saved it, then next time you open a set that uses that SAME rack- the changes are included.

aratunes

Post by aratunes » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Got it.

I'm asking as a feature request: if I build an instrument rack or effects rack and eventually make some changes to it and deliberately overwrite and save it as the same name-
it would be a nice timesaver if Ableton would recognize that I meant for this to happen, and load it from my User Library into my sets.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:03 pm

aratunes wrote:Nonsense!
What is the point of saving a preset if your sets won't load it in?
What you suggest is nonsense. While I do welcome your questioning of the Status Quo, what you're suggesting makes no sense.
You save presets so you can recall it later manually at will. There are multiple levels with Live in that instruments are saved as they are with the set. This means everything will sound as the last time you saved no matter the status of presets.

You don't even need to use presets at all. Save the set and it's all there in the future. If you share the project to someone else you don't have to add the presets specifically. If you unintentionally save over your existing preset when playing a performance for example, as you liked the changes you made, this doesn't change every single song that ever made use of that preset.

While presets overall, both specifically in Live and overall, are in need of music business agreements — currently NKS is doing well — what you suggest doesn't do anything useful and would likely confuse many users.

What other DAWs do what you suggest anyway?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:06 pm

aratunes wrote: I'm asking as a feature request
Yes, we know that and I'm sure your input is welcome. I think a vast majority will disagree with you however. You might get some support. This will never happen anyway.
Make some music!

aratunes

Post by aratunes » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Are you hearing me?
Racks- instrument racks or effects racks- which are being used by multiple sets.
I adjust something, maybe an instrument db level, and then overwrite and save it.
Now, I gotta go through and open all my sets and swap it?
I want Live to realize that this new rack should be loaded- timesaver.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Yes, you would need to reload the rack from the library if you wanted the new settings applied.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:52 pm

aratunes wrote:Are you hearing me?
Yes, I hear and undertand you perfectly and unless you are using some other English than me, I am indeed disagreeing with this specific suggestion you're making here. I'm sure you have other ideas that people like me might like much better.

Again, can you please name one other DAW that works like this? I'm not familiar with one like that. If it exists I'd like to try it.

I personally most certainly think critique of the current preset system is a good activity, so please don't let my reaction to this specific suggestion dissuade you from advancing your thinking further or making new suggestions. You just didn't persuade me on the benefits of this one. Not at all.
Make some music!

chrk

Post by chrk » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:36 am

aratunes wrote:I think it would be an excellent time saver
aratunes wrote:I want Live to realize that this new rack should be loaded- timesaver.
Until you realize that a change that makes sense in one set doesn't fit any of the others.

Time wasted figuring out why they all sound sh/t.

Sleeper0013

Post by Sleeper0013 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:50 pm

aratunes wrote:I make tweaks to instrument racks or effects racks and then use the "disk icon" to save (overwriting the existing named version). Then when I open a new set which also uses the SAME rack; the changes are not there.

Ara

http://www.eiss.cool
that can be a problem if you are using different settgins on each instance. they will automaticly be overwriten.