Blinker: LED Lights in Ableton Live

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
mrtunes

Blinker: LED Lights in Ableton Live

Post by mrtunes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Just wanted to share with you a new project i'm working on to help connect Arduino objects into Ableton's Connection Kit.

This is good for someone who kind of knows a bit of both Ableton and Max for Live, but is missing a few bits of information to connect the dots. Let me know what you think.

http://spaghettilab.net/blinker

Bdumaguina

Re: Blinker: LED Lights in Ableton Live

Post by Bdumaguina » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:49 pm

I've tried but failed to get a Gizduino (Arduino replica) to communicate with Live flawlessly. I had to use the Hairless MIDI to Serial Bridge as I could only get the Gizduino to spit out MIDI messages through a serial port and route it to a virtual MIDI port before it reached Live. Guess I should have gotten an Arduino. All the coding was giving me a headache haha.
Also got a MakeyMakey from a friend as a gift and I haven't tinkered with that yet. haha. Keep it up. Will be following this.

mrtunes

Re: Blinker: LED Lights in Ableton Live

Post by mrtunes » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:58 am

Bdumaguina wrote:I've tried but failed to get a Gizduino (Arduino replica) to communicate with Live flawlessly. I had to use the Hairless MIDI to Serial Bridge as I could only get the Gizduino to spit out MIDI messages through a serial port and route it to a virtual MIDI port before it reached Live. Guess I should have gotten an Arduino. All the coding was giving me a headache haha.
Also got a MakeyMakey from a friend as a gift and I haven't tinkered with that yet. haha. Keep it up. Will be following this.
This Gizduino should still work. Did you make sure you flashed it with Standard Firmata before trying to connect it to the Arduino device in Max for Live? The device I made is a great way to test if your Arduino is working, so I would start there. If you use a simple LED light, the bigger leg goes to a Digital Pin, and the smaller leg goes to Ground. Don't give up, it can be a little tricky to get going but the journey is the reward :D

MakeyMakey is also great because Ableton has keymapping and that one will do it out of the box (it runs on Arduino Leonardo and loads as a QWERTY keyboad). I ran a workshop on that this year, you can see my notes about it here.