configure max mixer that accurately shows tracks faders

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
danny klim

configure max mixer that accurately shows tracks faders

Post by danny klim » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 pm

Hi, i'm trying to configure a floating max mixer that accurately shows my ableton tracks, Could you please help?

I downloaded the float mixer m4l device from maxforlive.com. It works well as a starting point but only shows 20 tracks. I want to assign the faders to later tracks and probably to a smaller selection of tracks.

First, I tried changing the number of each track so that it was (approx) 21-40, but the faders aren't responding to sound produced on these tracks after updating the track #'s in the M4L device. Picture of changes below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuqcegzj4v8iq ... 5.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0uchuulkgdgct ... 8.png?dl=0

What do i need to do to make the faders work with different tracks?

( edit : the m4l device also includes this part of the patch which i didnt see before. maybe the solution is here somewhere? https://www.dropbox.com/s/87722ehnq65m0 ... 2.png?dl=0 )

Second, how can i assign the faders to a track name instead of track number? This would help the device be more resilient, stopping it from breaking if i move track ordering around.

Third, how can I assign a fader to the master volume?

Lastly, how CPU intensive is this kind of mixer? Would it make a big difference in CPU uses to use 5 tracks instead of 20? I sometimes notice lag in the audio when its open and wondering if it is causing it...

Thanks!

Angstrom

Re: configure max mixer that accurately shows tracks faders

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:11 pm

I wouldn't make a mixer with a ton of tracks, I'd make one with 20 or so and have it page left and right following a controller.

I have to say the task isn't supremely easy. Although m4l is a very powerful way to extend Live the implementation required is quite tortuous unless you enjoy a visual programming metaphor and a scattered tutorial path. You will have a lot of people saying "no no, it's easy, the documentation is amazing!". The docs are good. But it's like reading the manual for a particle accelerator to most users.

Ask the enthusiastic M4L programmer to refer you to the part of the documentation which explains"how to get the left/ right offset of a control surface ring". Which is surely one of the first use cases for Max's original inclusion in Live (to extend controllers) It soon exposes the problematic issue. This is an IDE, not Lego.

Of course - if you intend to become a tool maker, to express your creativity that way then it will be an enjoyable voyage. You'll be making your own tools. Though you'll also be on a voyage through oblique references on various forums. You'll discover clues like Columbo. You'll be deferring calls and logging objects to a console. You'll be iterating arrays which aren't arrays and wondering if you chose right to use a dict. It really is well documented, but it's an IDE which integrates with an API and barely any of the things you'll be needing to know are documented - the "what do I need to know" bits.

Suggestions: Go look for a product from someone like Isotonik. Something close enough. Something which will do the job. Then use the time you saved to learn something like Jiu Jitsu, Sanskrit, and Piano.

danny klim

Post by danny klim » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks. Would you limit the amount of tracks because of CPU reasons or because you wouldnt want a cluttered UI?

I've spent a good amount of time learning basic of max and some don't want to spend much time on learning it. But I need this mixer to show the right faders and I think that i found a good starting point already- all i need to do is find out how make the changes that i described in the 1st post. Could someone please advise how to make these specific changes?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:11 am

danny klim wrote:Thanks. Would you limit the amount of tracks because of CPU reasons or because you wouldnt want a cluttered UI?

I've spent a good amount of time learning basic of max and some don't want to spend much time on learning it. But I need this mixer to show the right faders and I think that i found a good starting point already- all i need to do is find out how make the changes that i described in the 1st post. Could someone please advise how to make these specific changes?
well, because I'd limit the channels because it's likely that the viewport is only displaying a smaller number. Assuming the screen is less than a vast 4k TV, and is more like a 12 to 24 inch screen - I'd find that I want to see about 20 or so at once so that each channel can also display the various meters and labels with enough space. Me, personally, I like things big so I can see them from far away - where I'm usually standing! It's needless to compute 120 channels if only a subset are being displayed at once. Also , each channel is the same. all that changes is the path or ID its looking at. It's not sensible to hard-code that into each of 120 duplicates. More sensible to make one, and have it accept arguments. Then duplicate it up however you feel like. That way to "page" the technique is to simply go and get the next set of IDs/Paths and use those to populate the channel strips.
I think there's a "get me the tracknames" sort of example in the Max building blocks pack. That shows the general idea.

BTW, if you are editing the patch like you show in the attached pic, that wont work. Those "P" blocks are sub-patchers, they are encapsulating the actual code that is looking at each track. All you are editing there is the name of the sub-patcher. Control-click it to go inside and see the actual paths its using.

danny klim

Post by danny klim » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Ok thanks for the explanation. Also for pointing out that i was changing the name of the subpatcher, totally forgot about that. Still confused about how to do it though, Opened the subpatch and see alot of variables. Also tried searching the max reference module for track name but can't find it anywhere. Can someone please offer specific advice or step by step instruction? I imagine that it only takes a couple steps to change the tracks of the faders but idk what the steps are yet!

danny klim

Post by danny klim » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:41 pm

Ok i just tried changing the track numbers in the subpatcher in the 3 spots where it shows the track number and it partially works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtkhrd6vhvsfz ... 7.png?dl=0

However, it didn't maintain order. I tried changing the subpatcher for tracks 3,4,5, 9, and 17 to monitor track 2, but it 9 and 17 are showing up on different tracks. Why is this happening?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvzidjkzwsghc ... 8.png?dl=0

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am

The more UI elements you use the more CPU intensive the device will be, drawing and responding to the audio level is particularly intensive also.

Cheers
D

danny klim

Post by danny klim » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:36 pm

S4racen wrote:The more UI elements you use the more CPU intensive the device will be, drawing and responding to the audio level is particularly intensive also.

Cheers
D

Thank you!

I tried again and realized that I was just messing up when changing the track number, just made a new post with more clear question/explanation about targeting by track name ( viewtopic.php?f=35&t=231200 ) so that this thread wouldn't be so cluttered