CPU Usage analyzer! See what plugins are taking the most CPU

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ryan.nguyen389

CPU Usage analyzer! See what plugins are taking the most CPU

Post by ryan.nguyen389 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm having a problem where I cannot find which plugins are taking the most CPU from my hardware. It would be really nice if Ableton had a built in monitor that monitors what tracks and plugins are taking up the most usage, so I can easily optimize my project.

Machinesworking

Re: CPU Usage analyzer! See what plugins are taking the most CPU

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:46 pm

+1
This is a great feature in Digital Performer, Reaper, and probably other DAWs that would be really useful.

soundfx

Post by soundfx » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:50 pm

+1 yes please

creativespiral

Post by creativespiral » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:24 am

Also, would be nice to have a sort of TRUE BYPASS / FULL BYPASS for VST Plugins / Effects... I've noticed that certain plugins introduce a bunch of latency (ie: Mastering Plugins like Ozone)... EVEN WHEN you turn them OFF, the latency exists... you have to actually delete the block to release processor / buffer issues.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:27 am

creativespiral wrote:Also, would be nice to have a sort of TRUE BYPASS / FULL BYPASS for VST Plugins / Effects... I've noticed that certain plugins introduce a bunch of latency (ie: Mastering Plugins like Ozone)... EVEN WHEN you turn them OFF, the latency exists... you have to actually delete the block to release processor / buffer issues.
Are you imagining two existing bypass states then? Because you can't reactivate without a pop if Delay Compensation isn't at the position it needs to be. I can see some upsides to your suggestion, but I'm not sure how these two different states would effectively be handled in the GUI.

One may ask that if the plug-in/device needs to be off, then why can't you just remove it completely if this is such a problem? I can see a number of reasons for wanting what you suggest, for instance if you started on a mixdown, but realised a collaborator needs to re-record a part, then it's certainly more convenient to leave it there totally bypassed until you get the project back.
Make some music!

creativespiral

Post by creativespiral » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
creativespiral wrote:Also, would be nice to have a sort of TRUE BYPASS / FULL BYPASS for VST Plugins / Effects... I've noticed that certain plugins introduce a bunch of latency (ie: Mastering Plugins like Ozone)... EVEN WHEN you turn them OFF, the latency exists... you have to actually delete the block to release processor / buffer issues.
Are you imagining two existing bypass states then? Because you can't reactivate without a pop if Delay Compensation isn't at the position it needs to be. I can see some upsides to your suggestion, but I'm not sure how these two different states would effectively be handled in the GUI.

One may ask that if the plug-in/device needs to be off, then why can't you just remove it completely if this is such a problem? I can see a number of reasons for wanting what you suggest, for instance if you started on a mixdown, but realised a collaborator needs to re-record a part, then it's certainly more convenient to leave it there totally bypassed until you get the project back.

Yeah, I'm suggesting a second FULL BYPASS state, where you can keep the block there with all settings you have worked on, but FULLY TURN IT OFF and not have to deal with the the delay / buffer issues. I often block out mixing / mastering chain while I'm still working on tracks to get a feel for how the final project is going to sound... but then if I need to work on a part, I have to write down all settings I've made and completely delete the block to work on tracks further. ALSO, there are some track level VSTs that I use (channel strips, effects, etc) that can create buffering / delay issues... I usually just bounce them out to an audio track. But I would like to be able to keep the original track/settings in a FULL BYPASS mode, so if I want to go back later and make changes, I still have all the settings saved.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:36 am

creativespiral wrote: Yeah, I'm suggesting a second FULL BYPASS state, where you can keep the block there with all settings you have worked on, but FULLY TURN IT OFF and not have to deal with the the delay / buffer issues. I often block out mixing / mastering chain while I'm still working on tracks to get a feel for how the final project is going to sound... but then if I need to work on a part, I have to write down all settings I've made and completely delete the block to work on tracks further. ALSO, there are some track level VSTs that I use (channel strips, effects, etc) that can create buffering / delay issues... I usually just bounce them out to an audio track. But I would like to be able to keep the original track/settings in a FULL BYPASS mode, so if I want to go back later and make changes, I still have all the settings saved.
The states need to be really well communicated in the GUI, also for a newbie, but I like this suggestion. Have you posted it to Centercode as well?
Make some music!

creativespiral

Post by creativespiral » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
creativespiral wrote: Yeah, I'm suggesting a second FULL BYPASS state, where you can keep the block there with all settings you have worked on, but FULLY TURN IT OFF and not have to deal with the the delay / buffer issues. I often block out mixing / mastering chain while I'm still working on tracks to get a feel for how the final project is going to sound... but then if I need to work on a part, I have to write down all settings I've made and completely delete the block to work on tracks further. ALSO, there are some track level VSTs that I use (channel strips, effects, etc) that can create buffering / delay issues... I usually just bounce them out to an audio track. But I would like to be able to keep the original track/settings in a FULL BYPASS mode, so if I want to go back later and make changes, I still have all the settings saved.
The states need to be really well communicated in the GUI, also for a newbie, but I like this suggestion. Have you posted it to Centercode as well?

No, I'm not a member on Centercode... If you want to post there, maybe some other eyes on the idea.

eq.a

Post by eq.a » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

+10000000 I wonder why is this still not a thing?! ;(

andryy

Post by andryy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:47 am

yes please +1!

Dinklepuff

Post by Dinklepuff » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:28 pm

This would be absolutely lovely