Multiple Midi lanes for Tracks

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Sleeper0013

Multiple Midi lanes for Tracks

Post by Sleeper0013 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:49 am

Makes a quick workflow when you can split certain drums into their own Midi lane, from this point its just a matter of arranging clips. If you want to silence the Kick from an aranged beat just delete the clip.

timday

Re: Multiple Midi lanes for Tracks

Post by timday » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:07 am

richt click->extract chain from drum rack will put any given pad with it's effects on a spearate track

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:05 pm

timday wrote:richt click->extract chain from drum rack will put any given pad with it's effects on a spearate track
This is how I work since many years, though I don't extract that much as I have all my drum sounds laid out in their in tracks on my template (I use one or two virtual instruments in my main kit and build from that).

This come with many other benefits as well, the most important to me probably being the ability to have different grooves per drum voice. It's somewhat more complicated at first, but I seldom use any other way now.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Sleeper0013 wrote:Makes a quick workflow when you can split certain drums into their own Midi lane, from this point its just a matter of arranging clips. If you want to silence the Kick from an aranged beat just delete the clip.
I imagine these still being viewable/editable as if it was one clip still, multi-clip editing style just a little more coherent. What do you imagine?
Make some music!

Sleeper0013

Post by Sleeper0013 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:05 pm

timday wrote:richt click->extract chain from drum rack will put any given pad with it's effects on a separate track
No this is a mess, what once was part of a drum rack with a grove and a cohesive MPC pad group is now off in its own obscure realm of existence. Also it's removed from the mix compression I have placed after my drum rack. What I'm looking for is similar to the way propellerheads did it in reason, multiple midi lanes in a track. This allows you to keep your drum rack and your Fx all in one place. I suppose the FX and compression can be accomplished with a bus group but then what's the point of drum rack if you have to have 3 or 4 to split up your drums. This makes patern changes difficult as well, i don't want to have to jump from drum rack to drum rack to make quick changes to what is basicly a single track. I like the extract ides just not to another track, extract to another midi lane. I can build a beat in one lane then extract what i want to be able to subtract into lanes. the clips are Seperate, how ever you can select them as groups and copy past them quicly
and when you want to drop your hats snare or kicks ever from a beat for a period of time you just deactivate or delete the clip in the lane you have created. You could lay out a kick patern and have like 5 snare clips that you can alternate between or drop.

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:56 am

You can route the MIDI (from the extracted track and any other track) to the original track with the original Drum Rack.

In practice is the same, you have 2 (or more) lanes in Arrangement feeding a single instrument.
♥♥♥