click/pop sound on scene launch

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fergusben

click/pop sound on scene launch

Post by fergusben » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:59 am

hey there, i had a search on the forum but couldnt find anything to help me.

Im using the latest version of live and as of the other day im having a problem with launching scenes.
When there is any clip playing, as soon as a scene launch button is pressed i get a click/pop sound over the output. I have no idea what is causing this as when i turn down the volume, the volume of the click/pop goes down as well. i tried adjusting my settings for my soundcard until i discovered that all other sets are fine, it is just that one set.

Can anyone help tell me what it would be? there are a lot of different tracks that dont play all at once so i cant figure out if its one of the tracks thats causing it or not. Ive probably just changed a setting or something im just not sure where.

Abterra

Re: click/pop sound on scene launch

Post by Abterra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:07 am

just had this problem, but was solved when a dude on here told me to not use the "complex pro" mode with time stretching. Try something simpler, like beats/transients, it solved it for me.

fergusben

Post by fergusben » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:11 am

doesnt really help me since its all midi tracks apart from one (which is on beat mode anyway). thanks anyway though

stefski

Post by stefski » Thu May 05, 2011 7:07 pm

I get this too. A little odd I feel as I'm hovering around 33% PCU usage. Maybe that's a lot, or doesn't account for spikes from all my plugs?

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:52 am

suppose i could bump this.

i'm running the latest version of Live on the latest, 2011 Macbook Pro with 8GB of ram.
using a 1st-gen MOTU Ultralite (Firewire).
my hard disk is 5400rpm, though.

every time I launch a scene, I get a little click/hiccup in audio.
i have a pretty big live set, and the CPU is usually around 30% so CPU consumption shouldn't be causing this, I think.

could my slow hard drive be causing this, or....?

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:30 pm

I just set the audio buffer to around 777 samples, which seemed to do the trick.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Fanu wrote:I just set the audio buffer to around 777 samples, which seemed to do the trick.
This is ridiculous as to how large buffer you must set in order to avoid problems when using the latest Mac Book Pro... 5200 RPM hard drive isn't a culprit, I am sure. I am able to run Live with 96 samples latency on the latest Quadcore 2.2 Ghz MBP with no issues. BTW, when experimenting, I realised that I couldn't set 128 samples buffer, only 127 and 129... Wicked.

Anyway, I'd suggest to experiment quite a bit and make sure you have the latest drivers for your audio interface..

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:18 pm

I get clicking too. I feel like the clicking was reduce a lot when I switched from using AU plugs, to VST plugs only.

However if I have a set with midi clips that are making a preset change to things like FM8 or Massive, It's will most definitely hiccup when launching them,via scene, even at 25% CPU, 128 Sample Buffer.

monsieur escargot

Post by monsieur escargot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:52 am

thanks to afroDJmac, he posted a solution which worked for me:
select all your clips (empty or not), R-click and press REMOVE STOP BUTTON.
Ableton will only trigger your clips and not all tracks, which could have been a CPU spike to create that pop.
and previous clips still stop when launching new scene.

michaelf88

Post by michaelf88 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:59 am

I discovered the solution that worked for me. My global quantization had been set to "None." Once I switched the quantization value to anything other than "None" (even 1/32 is good), the clicks are completely gone. Must have something to do with needing a slight buffer when launching scenes.

jape

Post by jape » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:27 am

just a quick note on this issue guys, same thing was happening for me, i managed to fix it when i realised that the overall sample rate was 44.1k and the wavs in my clips were 48k..

i changed overall sample rate to 48k to match clips and it fixed it for me..

just something to try, hope it helps..

rich

Jabbon

Post by Jabbon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:28 pm

dunno if this topic is still active, but removing stop buttons does indeed solve the issue.
Very funny though because this happens even with just 2 tracks...
sound spatialization content & technologies @ audit-orium.com

Danimal23

Post by Danimal23 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:40 pm

Abterra wrote:just had this problem, but was solved when a dude on here told me to not use the "complex pro" mode with time stretching. Try something simpler, like beats/transients, it solved it for me.
And an 8 year old answer solves my issue in 5 clicks or less! Thanks man.

vivanon

Post by vivanon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:21 pm

Bumpin this
I've tried the suggested solutions and I'm still having this issue. I'm not warping audio clips at all (The warp is off on all my audio tracks). Removing the stop buttons did not help either. Neither did playing around with the buffer size, or changing the global quantize setting to anything but 'none'. My CPU hovers around 2% as I'm basically using Ableton as a sequencer for external gear (with 1 audio track playing). No effects on anything, no VSTs. When I launch a Scene, about 40% of the time there's a little noise blip.