Polyphonic Aftertouch in Live 10: The Thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: Polyphonic Aftertouch in Live 10: The Thread

Post by H20nly » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:38 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Angstrom wrote:I still think it's hilarious that Ableton have two main products which could be described as:

1: A super-integrated polyphonic-aftertouch controller

2: A DAW which does not support polyphonic-aftertouch.
While that certainly is hilarious doesn't this also give us some hope? Thin perhaps, but hope nevertheless. The alternative is horrendous.
it either gives hope, or it's its own built in excuse not to develop it further. Because 'Push can...' <insert_workaround>

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:34 pm

I fully believe that the reason Automation moved to its own page in Live 10 is to make enough space to display MPE and poly-AT data in a later revision.
When will they deliver that feature though ... who knows?
10.2 ? 10.5 ? 11 ?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:I don't think there was a single polyphonic aftertouch controller on the market.
I haven't studied this in detail so you could be right. But as far I can remember these have always been around, since like the eighties. It could be as the beds are more expensive these models with PolyAT haven't been very popular and then it was treated by Ableton as if there weren't sufficient amounts to worry about.
Polyphonic aftertouch was around infamously on the CS80 in the 70’s. plenty of poly aftertouch controllers in the 90’s, and pretty much nothing in the early 2000’s. Probably because computers were slow as snot, and hosting midi controllable vst’s while receiving poly AT messages would send your 1ghz intel chips to their knees begging for mercy.

There’s a beautiful 88 key poly AT 90’s controller out there I never knew about until I got this mpk88 here. :x

dr_loop

Post by dr_loop » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:58 pm

dr_loop wrote:
I would have been happy if they'd gone at least a first step and allow PAT to pass through and thus allow at least basic MPE control.
They actually don't need each other to work, Poly Aftertouch and MPE that is; and you can do MPE control right now.
Yes it requires 16 MIDI channels, but MPE since it uses multiple MIDI channels by nature doesn't need a single MIDI channel to receive independent aftertouch signals.
...yeah, I know, and actually PAT is'nt such a hot topic for me anymore, MPE is!

And I know about the multi-channel setup. It kinda works, but for heaven's sake, its a real PITA!
I recently bought a LinnStrument. And was in for a surprise. I naively thought, it would be a somewhat steep learning curve to *play* it, but *easy* to manage.
But its dead easy to play (and very enjoyable so), but hard to manage within Live. I even thought of (and actually tried) switching to a more suitable DAW, but I neither have the $$$ and mental recources to do so.

So I ended up using the LinnStrument mainly with iPad-apps, which is easy and surely a lot of fun, but of course limited too.

I'm confident, things will eventualy improve, though!

MattPadden

Post by MattPadden » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:50 pm

Picking up a slightly old thread here having begun a search for polyphonic aftertouch in Live.

If you use/have Max for Live then there IS a way to use polyphonic aftertouch within Live, albeit under a couple of conditions. I found a very interesting tutorial thread providing details https://cycling74.com/forums/%C2%ABshar ... leton-live. The author also offers a very interesting take on why polyphonic aftertouch might not be implemented in the core application too (read the beginning of Part 2).

Matt

bravo-kilo

Post by bravo-kilo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:57 pm

I'm seeing some Channel Pressure in Live, saved as a clip envelope, recorded and played back. When did they add this functionality? I thought Ableton discarded this information in all situations, as mentioned above and in numerous other places. I can't seem to get it from the USB out of my Linnstrument, but from the same controller on DIN MIDI (via MIDI thru with a couple synths in-between) Live isn't blocking it, rather, it's saving it, letting me edit it and playing it back!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:24 pm

bravo-kilo wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:57 pm
I'm seeing some Channel Pressure in Live, saved as a clip envelope, recorded and played back. When did they add this functionality? I thought Ableton discarded this information in all situations, as mentioned above and in numerous other places. I can't seem to get it from the USB out of my Linnstrument, but from the same controller on DIN MIDI (via MIDI thru with a couple synths in-between) Live isn't blocking it, rather, it's saving it, letting me edit it and playing it back!
Channel pressure is mono aftertouch, Live has always had mono aftertouch.

Seamus Bottle

Post by Seamus Bottle » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:15 pm

So, when are we getting it then?

errorspending

Post by errorspending » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:21 am

Please just allow us to at least pass through the polyat mesages from midi controller to an external synth!!!
Can’t understand why this is blocked!
Have to use midi ox workaround

mojoswifty

Post by mojoswifty » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:23 pm

I have a hydrasynth and notation peak. Both utilize polyphonic after touch. I was very excited to get my Ableton push and start creating awesome live sets with Ableton. My excitement soon ended when I attempted to record a midi track with my Hydrasynth. No expression was recorded. Thought it was a setting. Couldn’t find one. Now visiting the forum I realize that Ableton doesn’t even have the ability to even record it. Hopefully they will update.