Tips for playing a set from arrangement view?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
McAnix

Tips for playing a set from arrangement view?

Post by McAnix » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:16 am

So I've decided to go with arrangement view. As I'm playing backtracks with a band it is just way easier for rehearing etc.

I'm new to using the arrangement view for live performance so any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

So far I figured out that I can map the locators, how about looping etc?

Thanks!

justanametouse

Re: Tips for playing a set from arrangement view?

Post by justanametouse » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:30 pm

Not to be critical, but is there a reason why you've chosen to utilize arrangement view for this task over session view? Session view is really optimized for this exact thing and makes switching single loops/sections/entire tracks for live performance a breeze, whereas arrangement view isn't really built for that. Can it be done? Sure. Is it creating a lot of extra and unnecessary work? Definitely.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:02 pm

I always used session view for live stuff, it's perfect.

Ad in multiple tracks per song and a whole freaking band with back tracks, with rehearsals etc and it's not great (with my setup). I never thought I would ever be using it for live but in this situation I need to.

This not a topic about witch is better, there are guys out there who use arrangement view for live stuff and I am asking their advice.

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:03 pm

(Is this a Live Lite/Intro limited tracks/scenes related question? Put that in the first post, then people would get what you want to do and avoid suggesting M4L and other stuff Lite/intro users can't use...)

Besides adding Locators (right-click the Scrub Area) and MIDI/Key assigning those and the Previous/Next Locator buttons, there isn't much you can do live in Arrangement besides careful organization. The whole point of Arrangement is fixing things to the Time Ruler.

Only other thing that comes up to my mind is ClyphX. ClyphX is great (I assume ClyphX Pro is even greater).

It does seem to have "actions" for Arrangement Loop, checking its manual. Didn't test myself though.
♥♥♥

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:46 pm

It's suite.

It's hard to explain the setup, if I read my post a month ago I would be like " just use session view what the heck?".

Fixing everything in place like a pre made mix is kind of the point of why I'm using it.

I'm looking for people who actually use it, I know they are out there.

It's not like I'm stuck or anything, the new setup is working quite well, I just want some insight from people who have used it more than I have.

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:50 pm

McAnix wrote:It's suite.

It's hard to explain the setup, if I read my post a month ago I would be like " just use session view what the heck?".

Fixing everything in place like a pre made mix is kind of the point of why I'm using it.

I'm looking for people who actually use it, I know they are out there.

It's not like I'm stuck or anything, the new setup is working quite well, I just want some insight from people who have used it more than I have.

I'm still not quite getting where the issue with Session View is - this isn't me trying to be snide, I'm just genuinely not sure where you're having issues. The most difficult thing I can speculate on is just having to consolidate everything so that it's the same length as your longest running clip (e.g. - it's a 3-minute song in which the drums play throughout and there's different pieces that may only come in at something like a chorus or break).

Still hoping to help, but I'd need a little more clarification as to where the road block is with Session View that's not there with Arrangement View.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:30 am

Well, the mixes are fixed and decided by the band before hand, it's a cover band. So I will be cueing the exact same tracks at the same time every time, so might as well fix them in arrange.

They want me to start playing bass guitar so just another reason not to be cueing tracks.

There are multiple tracks per song, some gigs may require that certain tracks be muted or added, reason not to consolidate all in one.

While rehearsing I can't start a clip from any point, because the follow actions will be out and I can't scrub from multiple clips. I can set up sections yes but fixing in place sorts this out way quicker.

For on the fly loops I use push.

The reasons go on but I really don't want to get into it.

I know it sounds crazy, for my original stuff I wouldn't even consider arrange but with this current band arrangement is working way better.

Like I said I'm not struggling, it's working way better for this band. I just want others who use it to give their insight.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:34 pm

For looping you might need to make a clip that retriggers a locator at a predetermined number of bars. Just keep some of these in a single channel in Session View and be able to turn them off and then trigger a locator via midi without the loop clip.

Here is where that all gets tricky. Of course you can’t have this functionality by default. Also, any time you hit ‘back to arrangement’ you might abruptly stop looping or even possibly jump to a different time in the arrangement (I don’t think this will happen but it would happen if it was Session and then Arrangement, different story I guess).

To create clips that trigger these locators you’ll likely either need to have a m4l device or script (like maybe ClyphX) that allows you to have control of the locators and trigger them. If you cannot find either of these as possibilities then you’d have to resort to some messy midi loopback stuff.

Wish it could be more simple but this is the best I can think of for addressing looping of more than one cursor location in a live situation.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:48 am

Just to add to this, I mostly play guitar live anymore, so Live becomes a setlist of tracks not clips.
Forever I've used Session View for this, which is dead simple, session clips and we're done. Problem is looping parts of a song, not really a thing if the entire clip is the four minute length of the song. So I'm in the process of transferring all of the songs into a "practice" set. I still think for the most part Session is better for live performance, but if I want to work on the solo for a particular part of a song, it's not really possible in Session View without creating some sort of Follow Action laden mess of clips out of Session View.