Using Link via Ethernet cable

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thegyratinggiblet

Using Link via Ethernet cable

Post by thegyratinggiblet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi,

We're trying to connect and run in sync two MacBooks using ableton Link. We can sync the two machines via wifi connection but ableton states that you can also do the same thing via LAN. Unfortunately we've tried all possibilities, including trying different cables incase that was the problem. When we connect via Ethernet the Ethernet status says connected in network prefs but when we create a new shared network and select within 'network' within audio midi set-up the corresponding shared network name, audio midi set up either crashes or gives an error message saying check ports/cable etc.
Ultimately we want to play live, using link via a closed network that no one else can access for security reasons.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Woods.

scheffkoch

Re: Using Link via Ethernet cable

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:10 pm

...you don't need to create a dedicated network...just connect the two computers via ethernet and enable link within ableton...works flawless here...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

thegyratinggiblet

Post by thegyratinggiblet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks dude. Typically have just got it working and is now fine. My mates computer had the wrong Ethernet preferences on - had on manual IP address rather than straight DHCP. Doh.
Thanks for the swift response!
Peace!

Kevin Hamler

Post by Kevin Hamler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:23 pm

Can I run MIDI between two PC laptops with a single ethernet cable?
(The artist formerly known as hambone1)

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:09 am

We've always connected Ethernet cables to a common router.

Id be interested if any one could verify that a single ethernet cable directly connected between two computers will sync midi?
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.

Kevin Hamler

Post by Kevin Hamler » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:34 am

I'm not syncing, but simply passing MIDI notes and CC curves to a VJ program on a second laptop.

I'll try without a hub and see what happens.
(The artist formerly known as hambone1)

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:28 am

dr.mysterium wrote:We've always connected Ethernet cables to a common router.

Id be interested if any one could verify that a single ethernet cable directly connected between two computers will sync midi?
Macs definitely support ad hoc Ethernet connections directly between two machines (also, Macs do not require a crossover Ethernet cable, a standard Ethernet patch cable is all you need).