controlling looper state with m4l (but WITH quantization!)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
tokyo super frog

controlling looper state with m4l (but WITH quantization!)

Post by tokyo super frog » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:03 am

I recently got a new midi foot pedal I want to use to control multiple looper devices, but it only transmits PC messages. I'm currently converting these to note-on messages with an external mapper, but would like to solve without the use of external programs. I created a max patch to set the looper 'state' based on incoming PC message, which works great, but unlike clicking the actual looper transit buttons, it ignores the looper quantization setting and changes state immediately. Unfortunately, waiting to perform the action at the quantized time is required for what I'm doing.

I can think of 3 potential workarounds, but can't figure out how to make them work or if any three are even possible:
1.) In max, is there a way to map midi messages (cc/noteon/PC)to device buttons not shown in the automation settings for the device? (i.e. have PC1 activate the looper record 'button' itself rather than the looper 'state' automation parameter?
2.) Is there a way to use max to midi map the PC messages to note-ons that I can then map to the device buttons via standard ableton midi mapping? (i.e. do the midi conversion from PC to noteon in max and then have midi-map recognize the converted noteon when I try to midi-map rather than the original PC value. This would be equivalent to what I'm doing with midi-ox, but all in max)
3.) Is there a way to incorporate global or looper quantization values in the max patch so it sends the desired SET <value> command to the looper state only at the correct quantized time (not immediately)?

Any ideas? (using Ableton 10 suite)
Thanks!

S4racen

Re: controlling looper state with m4l (but WITH quantization!)

Post by S4racen » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:00 am

Hi, yes it's possible, but there's not a way to do it reliably through the API as the timing will always drift. You're only solid solution is to map the Buttons via MIDI...

Cheers
D

tokyo super frog

Post by tokyo super frog » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I finally figured out a solution. I've created four empty audio clips in session mode for each looper, each with a different looper 'state' value automated. I then trigger the desired state via footpedal PC commands. Setting them as clips forces them to trigger at global quantization timings (including the stop command.)

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:41 pm

In case you're looking for a new convenient hardware solution to control and monitor Live's Looper, I just launched a Kickstarter campaign for a new controller.
You can check it here.
Have fun !