iMac spec for Push 2?!

Discuss Push with other users.
bascule

iMac spec for Push 2?!

Post by bascule » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi, just a quick one..

I tried a brand new push2 for a couple of weeks with Live 10 trial a few months back, driven from my old 2009 iMac 27. It 'mostly' worked, but was unstable, and was subject to regular hanging on the push display particularly when using the wavetable and similar functionality, but not always = there was regular crashing and lockups even just on general use. I replaced cables etc, rebuilt the mac from scratch with a new SSD and only ableton installed - no change.

I know the push display is driven from the computer graphics card, which I couldn't change in the iMac. At the time, unable to afford to replace the aging imac with a new one, I simply returned my push2 within the grace period.

Now - I have the chance to buy a virtually unused 2017 iMac, a 3.4GHz quad core i5 from a colleague at a really good price.. However, I need some reassurance! The old iMac was comfortably in excess of ableton's spec, latest OS, 16GB ram, 2.8Ghz i7 etc, yet didn't run the push 2 properly.

Anyone out there running a new style 5k iMac with push 2, please help me.. does it work for you? 100% reliably? any push screen issues? and most important, what spec iMac! is the 3.4Ghz i5 from late 2017 up to the job?! Don't want to punt out for this and another push 2 without being sure..!

(and before you ask, no I won't be switching to a PC!)

CHeers all

wayne.rudd

Re: iMac spec for Push 2?!

Post by wayne.rudd » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:00 am

Push 2 100% reliable on my 2014 5K iMac - 3.5Ghz i5 with Radeon R9 M290X

Stromkraft

Re: iMac spec for Push 2?!

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:03 am

bascule wrote: Now - I have the chance to buy a virtually unused 2017 iMac, a 3.4GHz quad core i5 from a colleague at a really good price.. However, I need some reassurance! The old iMac was comfortably in excess of ableton's spec, latest OS, 16GB ram, 2.8Ghz i7 etc, yet didn't run the push 2 properly.
That's the Radeon Pro 570 with 4 GB of dedicated VRAM. If the Push 2 can't make use of that something else would be wrong.

That said this is just based on my impressions from these forums. I have the original Push, which remains an alternative from the second hand market. The old style LED makes me focus on the tactile sensation and musical dimension. If I have to see more complex information I look at my computer displays.
Make some music!