Massive presets sounds weird / no sound since 10.0.2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cane creek music

Re: Massive presets sounds weird / no sound since 10.0.2

Post by cane creek music » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:22 pm

oratowsky wrote:Hey guys

This is without a doubt a problem with the 10.0.2 update

Support told me they know about the bug

Downgrading to 10.0.1 fixes the problem

It affects only AU versions of plugins. You can also use VST versions as a workaround
Yes support told me the same thing

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:32 pm

oratowsky wrote: It affects only AU versions of plugins.
Which doesn't explain Windows issues.

Funnily enough support suggested some small issues I had with a specific instrument plug-in that occasionally may forget presets, both in Live 9, 10.0.1 and 10.0.2, saved with the set was due to this bug (My report was made in 10.0.2). I use only VST plug-ins (except for one not related to this issue), so this was likely something different. Which we cleared up as soon as I pointed out this fact.

Ableton support are good people, but even they don't know everything (just more than most of us). I still feel occasionally people assume "it must be the update" when it could be a side-effect or separate issue that could be handled.

Deleting prefs, both for Live and plug-ins is something to try before you downgrade.
Make some music!

iloyd2

Post by iloyd2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:25 am

Stromkraft wrote:
iloyd2 wrote:
They don't properly load. Many settings are wrong thus the patch sounds bad.
Improperly loading presets indicate more serious issues, like permissions.

I'm on macOS 10.12 "Sierra", but I doubt this is a Live 10.0.2 specific issue. Since Live 9.7 or so I've had to obliterate preferences multiple times after an update, both for Live and for certain plug-ins. Lately this have been Waves but also others previously.

So first of all, try to reset Live and make a mint install of problematic plug-ins.
It's a 10.0.2 issue. Downgrading to 10.0.1 and all issues are gone.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:49 am

iloyd2 wrote:
I don't even have the problem in 10.0.2. Massive is not a Live 10.0.2 issue for me.

Naturally I use the VST version. There are few or no reasons to use the AU version. Which is not a reason for Ableton to fail to fix AU usage in 10.0.2.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:31 pm

The AU issue seems to be fixed in the next beta.

From the 10.0.3b1 Release Notes:
bug fixes…
  • Fixed a bug which prevented AU presets from recalling parameters correctly.
Make some music!

iloyd2

Post by iloyd2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:56 am

Stromkraft wrote:
iloyd2 wrote:
I don't even have the problem in 10.0.2. Massive is not a Live 10.0.2 issue for me.

Naturally I use the VST version. There are few or no reasons to use the AU version. Which is not a reason for Ableton to fail to fix AU usage in 10.0.2.
There might be several reasons one might prefer using AU to VST on Mac including:

- Unlike VSTs you can directly drag AU presets from and to Ableton Browser, while you need to wrap a device to instrument/fx rack before saving for VSTs.

- Ableton 9 could read user AU presets made with Logic X so that might be reason many invested in AU in the first place if they are using both hosts. Hopefully that will be fixed in a future version of 10.

- If you've used AU versions for years for your countless custom device rack presets, you can't just switch to VST version.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:53 am

iloyd2 wrote:you need to wrap a device to instrument/fx rack before saving for VSTs.
Not true if you use VST presets, that have their own menu.
iloyd2 wrote:
There might be several reasons one might prefer using AU to VST on Mac including:

- Unlike VSTs you can directly drag AU presets from and to Ableton Browser…

- Ableton 9 could read user AU presets made with Logic X so that might be reason many invested in AU in the first place if they are using both hosts. Hopefully that will be fixed in a future version of 10.

- If you've used AU versions for years for your countless custom device rack presets, you can't just switch to VST version.
Especially the latter two are very valid reasons. Nevertheless, AUs have too many limitations and going from Logic 8 to Live in 2012 I didn't look back abandoning them. I build my presets, my own patches in the plug-in itself. This also make the presets portable, in some cases between AU or VST version or one of the other formats.

I don't think VST presets are very usable either. Presets overall is broken and don't get me started on Push control.
Make some music!

feel_good_hit

Post by feel_good_hit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:18 am

I was having the same issues after installing Ableton Live 10 Suite today. Everything was working fine with my previous version of Ableton Live 9 Standard. I followed the instructions in the link below to do a complete wipe of the Massive plugin and then reinstalled through the Native Access App. It seems to have done the trick and everything is functioning properly now. Give it a shot.

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... X-Computer

yurki

Post by yurki » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:23 pm

Finally, I'm not alone anymore with this problem.

Loading my old Ableton sets to continue working on them, but a lot of synths
didn't sound the same:
Massive, ACE, Diva.

All on AU on Mac, Ableton 10.0.2

kj

Post by kj » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:10 am

Yeah, same issue here plugins loads, then immediately parameters changes and the preset is gone. MacOS 10.13.5 and Live 1.0.0.2. Tested this on the current beta and that looks te resolve the issue.

heinrichz

Post by heinrichz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:12 am

[jur] wrote:Please report to support@ableton.com
sorry for the hassle,
thx!
Yes some of my Massive presets sound very differently now. The work around would be to load Massive in Komplete Kontrol

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:12 am

kj wrote:Yeah, same issue here plugins loads, then immediately parameters changes and the preset is gone. MacOS 10.13.5 and Live 1.0.0.2. Tested this on the current beta and that looks te resolve the issue.
AU?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:12 am

heinrichz wrote: Yes some of my Massive presets sound very differently now. The work around would be to load Massive in Komplete Kontrol
AU or VST?
Make some music!