Option to swap drum rack samples *only*, not sends

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
abiah

Option to swap drum rack samples *only*, not sends

Post by abiah » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:35 am

The option to only swap a Drum Rack's samples for another saved Drum Rack, without overwriting the sends.

Most times I want to just swap over the samples within the Rack, but want to keep the sends I have setup for the track . This is how drum samplers act when swapping sample kits (geist, mpc, maschine, groove agent etc). It enables you to try different samples without throwing out the production context.

Stromkraft

Re: Option to swap drum rack samples *only*, not sends

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:45 am

abiah wrote:The option to only swap a Drum Rack's samples for another saved Drum Rack, without overwriting the sends.

Most times I want to just swap over the samples within the Rack, but want to keep the sends I have setup for the track . This is how drum samplers act when swapping sample kits (geist, mpc, maschine, groove agent etc). It enables you to try different samples without throwing out the production context.
Likely your samples are placed into the Simpler instrument, right? So change sound there instead. If you're not using multisamples you can just drop the sample right onto Simpler's sample window.
Make some music!

timday

Post by timday » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:07 am

Would be nice to be able to do them all at once as a kit though.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:45 am

timday wrote:Would be nice to be able to do them all at once as a kit though.
yeah. I guess wanting this, among other things, was how 128s in Sampler was born. If you think about the rack a sub-mixer it makes little sense mixer settings would change with the sound.

Would holding down alt, for example when replacing samples or kits and saving the current mixer settings, be a good way to work this functionality into the GUI, @abiah? Or did you have something different in mind? @timday?

My solution, not for this alone, is total separation from the pads/chains and the sounds as I typically put the latter into their own tracks that respond to the MIDI coming from the pad/chain. As I then use the main mixer as a sub-mixer, all the outputs going to a drum buss, I only do basic mixing in nested racks so ignoring such side-effects that abiah touches on here and using the main mixer with all its advantages. This is not for every situation or producer, but it certainly helped me making sense of drum mixing in Live when I took this up several years ago.
Make some music!

abiah

Post by abiah » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:06 am

Stromkraft wrote: Likely your samples are placed into the Simpler instrument, right? So change sound there instead.....
timday wrote:Would be nice to be able to do them all at once as a kit though.
Thanks but the thread is about changing a whole drum rack kit at once (with dozens of pads/samples), so that workaround wouldn't solve it at all.
It should/could also include swapping of rack-pads where a non-ableton sampler is included, eg a vst instrument and subsequent effects chain. The entire rack could be swapped - except sends.
Would holding down alt, for example when replacing samples or kits and saving the current mixer settings, be a good way to work this functionality into the GUI, @abiah? Or did you have something different in mind? @timday?
yep that's exactly what I had in mind
My solution, not for this alone, is total separation from the pads/chains and the sounds as I typically put the latter into their own tracks that respond to the MIDI coming from the pad/chain. As I then use the main mixer as a sub-mixer, all the outputs going to a drum buss, I only do basic mixing in nested racks so ignoring such side-effects that abiah touches on here and using the main mixer with all its advantages. This is not for every situation or producer, but it certainly helped me making sense of drum mixing in Live when I took this up several years ago.
I've tried a few convoluted workarounds like that, but they're all hacky as hell, and I end up moving to third party instruments. I'm hoping for an improved ableton drum rack.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:06 pm

abiah wrote:I'm hoping for an improved ableton drum rack.
Well, that would be nice I think. I don't see a suggestion with your case at Centercode. Maybe you could add it there and post the link? I'm pretty sure this is read here, but support from other users can be nice too.
Make some music!

abiah

Post by abiah » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:31 pm

will do man, cheers