Roland TR8S

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spagbol

Re: Roland TR8S

Post by spagbol » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Thanks for all this information, all very helpful.
I mean, i guess it would be interesting to use it as stand alone. I did at some point intend on taking my music out of the studio environment.

I am on Mac. I only have a Prodipe Studio 22 audio interface (not he new version), but it seems pretty good for what i need it for.

I still wondering however if i really need the TR8S.......well....i need to get the money together for that first.....
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:21 pm

spagbol wrote:Thanks for all this information, all very helpful.
I mean, i guess it would be interesting to use it as stand alone. I did at some point intend on taking my music out of the studio environment.

I am on Mac. I only have a Prodipe Studio 22 audio interface (not he new version), but it seems pretty good for what i need it for.

I still wondering however if i really need the TR8S.......well....i need to get the money together for that first.....
Well in your shoes, I would get it, and use it as my audio interface too, as well as being an excellent drum machine its also a decent audio interface.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:52 am

Good point. Thanks.
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:37 am

Tons off fun, inspiring to program, looks nice on stage...but no timestretching on samples.
I used groove boxes but after a while ending up not using them anymore.

In a live situation a push2 and some other midi controllers connected give me more control.
But thats my personal live setup and i can imaging that it can be a nice inspiring thing to use.

For me this thing would be more interesting if there was a screen on it with the possibility to edit my samples.

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:01 pm

Well inspiration is always nice to get.

It does looks like a ton of fun to use, I just think it may open up some other possibilities for me interns of freeing up Push 2.

I get the thing about not being able to edit samples, but won't I be able to trigger samples with Live from the TR8s?. I guess internal sample editing will come in TR8tor version......

kevinreynoldsdetroit

Post by kevinreynoldsdetroit » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:29 am

Using my TR-8S as an audio output for Ableton for my live set. Loving it much better that the old TR-8 (I blew through 3 of them as they kept breaking).

seabearho

Post by seabearho » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:21 pm

As I see it, using both Push and the TR-8S is advantageous. The TR offers some features that aren't available in the Push such as:
  • Polyrhythmic sequencing: You can create polyrhythmic (or polymetric) sequences in Ableton and push, but not in the same clip. Maybe this will become available in a future update, but for now its much easier in a hardware sequencer such as the TR or Beatstep.
  • Multiple knobs (I.E. real time control) per drum track: Push has eight knobs total. TR has 33 knobs just for track controls, and they are labeled. Much easier to make quick changes if you're playing live.
  • A clock trigger output: This is great for real time manipulation of a sequencer and can give live sets a level of improvisation that is harder to achieve in ableton.
All that being said, Ableton with Push excels at sound design and sampling and is still (in my opinion), a better platform for manipulating audio and sample playback than any standalone hardware. As great as a true standalone sampler can be (I.E. Elektron Digitakt), I find digging through endless submenus tedious and I can often perform similar functions much easier in Ableton.

For live performance, using the TR-8S for drums and the Push for sample playback is the best of both worlds.