I accidentally saved over a project, any way to recover set?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
musikmachine

I accidentally saved over a project, any way to recover set?

Post by musikmachine » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Hey,

I feel like such a dumbass but I hit control s instead of control d and my previous set is now overwritten! 8O :oops:

I know you can recover when the set crashes but can I recover from before I saved using that hack or not? Thanks!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: I accidentally saved over a project, any way to recover set?

Post by [jur] » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:15 pm

There's a "Backup" folder in your project if you're using L10.
Ableton Forum Moderator

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:50 pm

[jur] wrote:There's a "Backup" folder in your project if you're using L10.
I am not. :cry:

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:00 pm

Ooh, if i upgrade can i recover it? :D

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Not this time, but in the future any new sets you work on would make that possible if you upgrade.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:33 am

Fortunately, I have most of the parts due to the way I work but eff me lesson learned, it was my best track to date and if i'd have deleted all the parts I'd have been calling a therapist! :lol:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:32 am

Maybe use this experience as a learning point to always make backups and incremental saves.

Automated backups of your projects are one thing, but what can be a life saver in these cases is to get into the habit of making versions of your saves. Something simple like every time you make a decent change in your project or add a new track etc just do a save-as and add a number to the end.

I had the same thing happen once when I had a great track I spent a whole day on (in another program), saving along the way but only to a single file. I made a few changes and did my last save and the program crashed while saving and corrupted the whole file so I lost all my work. I managed to remake some of it but it was not the same as my initial attempt and I was gutted. That was exactly when I designed the backup methods I use still to this day.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:35 pm

musikmachine wrote:it was my best track to date
i know what you mean, all my deleted tracks were my best work - especially the accidentally deleted ones. those would have been gold, if i would have finished them instead. they were so good, Kanye would have interrupted my acceptance speech to kiss Beyonce's ass.

8)

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:35 pm

H20nly wrote:
musikmachine wrote:it was my best track to date
i know what you mean, all my deleted tracks were my best work - especially the accidentally deleted ones. those would have been gold, if i would have finished them instead. they were so good, Kanye would have interrupted my acceptance speech to kiss Beyonce's ass.

8)
Lol! I humbly mean it objectively, I've been making amazing progress this year since taking a program that essentially deconstructs music and teaches you the fundamentals of what makes it tick without needing an Oxford music degree! But I'm working on stuff with a view to licensing it to libraries so losing stuff is a pita!

MonoTeksist

Post by MonoTeksist » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:27 am

Well Live saves Sets at regular times, maybe you can recover your set fron that?

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:07 pm

i've been using Splice now and then over the last year or so. every time you hit Save it saves as a new version and all the previous versions are there archived for you

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:56 pm

musikmachine wrote:Lol! I humbly mean it objectively, I've been making amazing progress this year since taking a program that essentially deconstructs music and teaches you the fundamentals of what makes it tick without needing an Oxford music degree! But I'm working on stuff with a view to licensing it to libraries so losing stuff is a pita!
i feel your pain. i was just kidding... and still agreeing. i've lost a few tracks that i was certain were the shit. i'd love to hear them now... probably lmao at some of them.

anyway, sorry for your loss.

Blackout1107

Post by Blackout1107 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:59 am

[jur] wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:15 pm
There's a "Backup" folder in your project if you're using L10.
Thank you, good sir. You saved me having to redo a cool little idea I had accidentally saved over. I was bummed out and now we're back in business! :o :D