Strange panning occurs after de-widening in mastering...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ssd

Strange panning occurs after de-widening in mastering...

Post by ssd » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:27 pm

Hello, recently produced a remix and send the stems to mastering. I grouped like bass, kicks, tops, pads, fx ect. On the tops, which includes hihats, shaker, snare and rolls/fills, I noticed in the master, that with the shakers a strange panning effect (wandering slowly from left to right) occurs that's not noticeable in my mixdown. Trying to figure out what happened, out of a random guess I put an utility on the tops-group and pulled the wide control down to 30-40% and suddenly I noticed the same panning in my mixdown of the group. I made the top shakers a little too wide the mastering engineer said and so he indeed used an utility too to pull the wideness a little down. For the widening effect I used an autopan with a phase shift of like 20° and a frequency shifter. Turning off both the autopan and the freq shift, the panning effect still appears (the original sample from the remix pack already had some widening in it) but much less when I use the utility. The mastering was done again without the utility on this track but some of that panning is still there (it's acceptable bow but still) so I guess there might be a de-widening in some mastering plugin that was used.

Can someone explain to me why this happens? Does this have something to do with phasing`of the stereowave in the original sample?

wearemindflux

Re: Strange panning occurs after de-widening in mastering...

Post by wearemindflux » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi, If you do not want the width just set the sample to mono. Put the utility to mono
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

ssd

Post by ssd » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:02 pm

wearemindflux wrote:Hi, If you do not want the width just set the sample to mono. Put the utility to mono
Sorry, that wasn't my question. I want the width, I was asking why the panning appears.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:12 pm

My guess is some kind of strange phase cancellation going on, but it’s hard to say for sure without seeing the before and after stems.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Tarekith wrote:My guess is some kind of strange phase cancellation going on, but it’s hard to say for sure without seeing the before and after stems.
Yup, that's what it sounds like to me, too. Phasing will mess with your stereo image in really weird ways.