pitch bend on external synth not returning to zero

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Michelle911

pitch bend on external synth not returning to zero

Post by Michelle911 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:19 am

first off, this is not about returning an envelopes bend to zero :wink:

I've been living with this for quite a while thinking the solution might present itself, but so far it hasn't.

it happens with each of my synths (0-coast, peak and a bass station II), I'll bend with the touch strip on push2 and any of my external synths will get stuck somewhere off zero until I tap the strip again. the indicator light on the touch strip itself returns but the pitch being played on the synth doesn't.

I've googled this several times... that is each time I lose patience and put my project on hold to go bug hunting :|

doghouse

Re: pitch bend on external synth not returning to zero

Post by doghouse » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Do you have a MIDI monitor app that you can use to help debug? The lack of an event list in Live makes debugging this sort of thing difficult without one.

Does this happen while playing in real time, when recording clips, etc.??

Michelle911

Post by Michelle911 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:21 pm

only MidiOx, which I can't use at the same time as Ableton.

I've only ever noticed it when playing in real time, but then I am playing in real time when recording a clip, I don't think I've ever recorded a clip and then recorded my automation using the touchstrip. I'll try that later when I have the chance. I'm guessing it will still get stuck... but I've been wrong before.

timday

Post by timday » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:11 pm

If you're running suite there's a Max MIDI monitor plugin.

Michelle911

Post by Michelle911 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:18 am

Thanks timday! I've got it and I'll get it.

Michelle911

Post by Michelle911 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:05 am

I think it's fixed (fingers crossed) I'm going to kick myself for a very long time that I never searched for an M4L midi monitor :oops: after installing one I found that the expression pedal on my komplete kontrol was sending cc when it shouldn't have. It seems to have all been from a flaky TRS. I switched cables and now there's no more ghosted CC messages and I can't seem to get my pitch bend stuck anymore no matter how much I try.

thanks guys