Live not "seeing" newly installed sample folders

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MonoTeksist

Live not "seeing" newly installed sample folders

Post by MonoTeksist » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:34 pm

I bought some sample packs but Live doesn't see the samples in Places.
I found the culprit though: Live has a problem with sample names in capital letters.
When I renamed 1 sample in the folder to small letters, all of a sudden Live did recognize both the folder and all the samples in it, even all the other ones that still had capital letters.

So, Live and samples with capital letter names don't mix.

[edit]
Ok things get weird now. The folder names were also in capital letters and once I renamed 1 of them to small letters and back to capitals, Live all of a sudden found all the folders and their samples.
Sorry for the 2nd edit but I found something new. Live doesn't have any problems with capital lettered samples but with their folders in capitals.
I managed Live to see all the samples inside a folder which had capital letters, AFTER I renamed it to small letters and back.

jestermgee

Re: Live not "seeing" newly installed sample folders

Post by jestermgee » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:21 pm

It's probably more to do with Lives indexing of the files which can take some time if you have a lot of samples for Live to index. Changing the names probably prompts Live to do an immediate update or something.

Other thing would be some characters which may cause scanning issues. I haven't had issues but I do know that some combinations of characters, unless escaped correctly in code can cause issues.

MonoTeksist

Re: Live not "seeing" newly installed sample folders

Post by MonoTeksist » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:44 am

Yeah I had Live to index a couple of 1000s samples. A Refresh button would've been nice.
BUT : once I renamed ONE folder to lower case, all upper case folders (even on the same level) got recognized. Can't say that I understand this quirk.
Still happy to upgraded to Live 10 though. :)
I'm using 2 DAWs now: Renoise and Live. Renoise is brilliant for creating home-made funked-up loops.