10.3 is unusable LAGS , UNUSABLE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DeepForest

Re: Sudden lag in Live 10

Post by DeepForest » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Also hanging and crashing all the time when I try and save/exit/load a new live set.

grahamt

Re: 10.3 is unusable LAGS , UNUSABLE

Post by grahamt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:45 pm

I've just reinstalled 10.0.2 after requesting the link from support.
It's working fine again :-)

Remember when you reinstall 10.0.2 to immediately turn off the auto-updates in preferences

gerundio

Post by gerundio » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Same for me on win7. I hope Ableton will take online an installation history archive. I will come back to 10.0.1.

10.0.2 gave me some lag problems already

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:04 am

Perhaps when posting about an issue you include your system specs as well, just so others can compare potential causes if they have issues.

Cactus factus

Post by Cactus factus » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:29 am

Ableton support suggested I roll back my video card driver and install an optional.txt file, I did but nothing worked I've been asking for a couple of days for a 10.0.2 link but no response. .very frustrating

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:11 am

grahamt wrote:I've just reinstalled 10.0.2 after requesting the link from support.
i dunno why the Abes don't provide direct links to the previous version or two on the Download archive page.

it's great that they have every version going back to v.1 but surely some of the most useful versions to provide are recent releases?

https://www.ableton.com/en/download/archive/

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:28 pm

replace the 3's with 2's in the url...

https://cdn-downloads.ableton.com/chann ... 0.2_64.zip

gerundio

Post by gerundio » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:54 pm

Cactus factus wrote:Ableton support suggested I roll back my video card driver and install an optional.txt file, I did but nothing worked I've been asking for a couple of days for a 10.0.2 link but no response. .very frustrating
Same suggestion to me and worked. The file name is Options.txt and the option is -_ForceGdiBackend

mind_the_bap

Post by mind_the_bap » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:44 pm

gerundio wrote:
Cactus factus wrote:Ableton support suggested I roll back my video card driver and install an optional.txt file, I did but nothing worked I've been asking for a couple of days for a 10.0.2 link but no response. .very frustrating
Same suggestion to me and worked. The file name is Options.txt and the option is -_ForceGdiBackend
Worked for me, didn't rollback the video driver. Thx.

Ableton's tutorial on Options.txt - https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... s-txt-file

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Will a set saved in 10.0.3 open in .0.2? I forgot I had auto updates on, and when I opened the set I was working on, Live just quit - disappeared entirely from my screen when it had almost fully loaded the set. It didn't even show an error message (stopped responding or whatever). I launched Live again, and this time the set loaded, but because I'd had no problems for a long time, I had a hunch and checked the version number. And surely enough: 10.0.3. I decided to give it a go anyway, and started working. It went mostly fine until I deleted a track. Crash boom bang.

And THIS is why we need an email heads up even when small updates are released: as a reminder to switch off your internet connection and make sure you've disabled auto updates... :x

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:21 pm

mind_the_bap wrote:
gerundio wrote:
Worked for me, didn't rollback the video driver. Thx.

Ableton's tutorial on Options.txt - https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... s-txt-file

Wow, you guys! That fixed it for me as well!
Thanks!!

mikb

Post by mikb » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 pm

So, GDI is a non object-oriented hardware abstraction provider for the win32 platform written in C, if I understand the clues right.

Maybe something new have replaced this in Live 10 and when this new tech, whatever it is, acts up "forcing GDI" ensures stable operation? I have no idea, but cool if it works for some of you. Is it just me, or is there a little too much Voodoo in Live usage these days?
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

Reemo

Post by Reemo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:56 pm

My 10.0.3 doesn't really lags, but there are pops and shutters in the sound. Not sure what it is... 10.0.2 was perfectly stable (I have a new GPU driver and omnisphere). Cpu is set to max performance, but I can see, that it spikes and then there are pops in the sound... like every 10secs or so. I tried that -_ForceGdiBackend option but no luck...

EDIT: I think it is omnisphere only problem... wavetable seems to works ok... Well that is weird...

[tow]

Post by [tow] » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:52 pm

Hey everyone,

we've just released our latest beta, Live 10.0.4b2, which fixes several issues Live might have while starting on machines with older GPUs - laggy behavior, crashes, blank windows, basically everything that would be cured by the "-_ForceGdiBackend" option in Live 10.0.3.

Please check out the specific topic on this and try Live 10.0.4b2 if you suffer from these issues.

AsleG

Post by AsleG » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:30 pm

I got this lagging suddenly in the 10.1.2b1.
The thing happened over night - the very same night I updated my Arturia V-coll 5 to their software center´s suggestion.
I even traced it to happen when I applied the new plug-ins.

Applying the "-_ForceGdiBackend" option did not cure it. Removing the V-coll instruments one by one improved the situation and with only a handful I could easily maneuver around, albeit still with some lagging.

To me this proves that either the last V-coll update is eating graphics computing power or there is a combination thing here.
The interesting part is that Ableton was not updated from the day without problems to the day with.
8O

The case is registered at Arturia. Really love their instruments, so hopefully Arturia and Ableton can fix it together!