Keyboard shortcut: why does command X override command C?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
concentrate

Keyboard shortcut: why does command X override command C?

Post by concentrate » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:20 pm

I frequently want to copy a piece of audio and place it where I have something else, but in order to do that I need to delete what is already there.

For example if I want to fade the transient on all of my snares I can just fade the transient on one snare, then run across the track copy and pasting that one faded snare where the other ones are to replace them.

The way I usually want to do this is just to hit Command C to copy that one piece of audio, then select and hit command X to delete the other audio clips as I go along then pasting in it's place. The problem is when I highlight an audio clip then hit command X, subsequently when I hit command V to paste where I just deleted it now pastes the audio clip I just deleted using Command X.

I know I could just hit delete but command X makes more sense for me because you can delete only a portion of an audio clip with the key command, versus the delete button will automatically delete the whole clip.

How can I stop command X from copying the thing that I delete so I don't have to keep returning to that one piece of audio and copy it over and over again?

Thank you!

justanametouse

Re: Keyboard shortcut: why does command X override command C?

Post by justanametouse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:54 pm

CMD + X is traditionally a "cut" function in computing. It doesn't delete an item so much as it removes it, stores it, and can then be pasted elsewhere.

concentrate

Post by concentrate » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Damn so I'm guessing because ableton's key commands can not be altered by the user it's not possible to disable the store function of CMD + X, yeah?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:33 pm

concentrate wrote:Damn so I'm guessing because ableton's key commands can not be altered by the user it's not possible to disable the store function of CMD + X, yeah?
Changing the key commands wouldn't have any effect anyway. The inherent function of a "cut" command is going to be what it is (copy contents to clipboard and delete original) regardless of what key combination the application is using to initiate it.
Unsound Designer

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Delete should allow you to just delete what is selected including if you have an envelope?