Push 2 style keyboard.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Gregory Wells-King

Push 2 style keyboard.

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Is there a Push 2 style Ableton keyboard in development?

I know I won’t get a straight answer, but given that Native Instruments seemed to have carved a decent position in this with NKS format keyboards.

I would really like a keybed with Push style controls and interface.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Push 2 style keyboard.

Post by [jur] » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Of course you won't get any answer on this.
But I'm moving this thread to the FW forum.
(I'd personally love this too btw)
Ableton Forum Moderator

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:56 pm

Cheers.

Much appreciated.

JuSchu

Post by JuSchu » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:18 am

What are you meaning with "Push 2 style"?
Are you talking about an actual keyboard with black and white keys that also has the display, knobs, and buttons of Push 2 or are you talking about a pad controller keyboard that has the note layout of Push and can be played in a chromatic and diatonic way, but doesn't have any of the other stuff Push has?
Perhaps they could also do a joint-venture like they did with Akai and Novation to build the APC40, APC20, original Launchpad and Push 1. A joint-venture with Roli would be nice. Mainly because with an official Ableton version of the Seaboard then they don't have any excuse to not implement MPE.

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:40 am

Yeah, just to clear up any confusion, the hardware I feel Ableton should implement, is are traditional Keyboards I.e 61 black and white keys, with Push 2 style knobs faders and buttons with information panel and interface the same as on the current model. Frankly you could probably include a small 5 x 5 pad arrangement on the side of the keyboard like Maudie Code controller series and a couple of Joy stick controllers as well to give a full range of options.

I can see where just setting up your push some next to your Keyboard in a studio is possible, but anything that reduces used space for me is a must and the way I like to work just lends itself to the language a fluidity of a traditional Keyboard layout. The best example is the current NI series of NKS keyboards, with a really solid interface of there own VST.

Push is an interesting and contemporary cotroller without a doubt, but it’s not very romantic I feel you catch my drift.

:P

JuSchu

Post by JuSchu » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:12 pm

What I actually like the most on the Kontrol keyboards is that every single key has its own LED. Since the pads on Push also are back-lit it would make sense to also give the keys on that keyboard LEDs.

And since it is a controller you probably only will use with a computer, a touchpad (as MIDI XY pad and mouse replacement) would also make sense (to name another feature from the M-Audio Code). But please a big one. Small touchpads are horrible.

I think a full blown keyboard (with letters, not notes) is too much. But they could add a "Letter Mode" (latching) and/or a "Rename" (not latching) button and then map the different letters on the keys. Of course, that wouldn't work on the 25-key version as long as you don't make it a 26-key version (but hey, why not? It's just one additional key). If you want to type language specific letters like ä, é, ï, õ, ... you could hold the shift button press the key multiple times and see an overlay in the software that shows you what letter you would get. If you also add buttons for Alt, Ctrl, Start/Cmd, Esc, ... and a number pad (or a "Number Mode" button and map the numbers also on the keys) you would never need your mouse and keyboard and save space on your desk for hardware you actually WANT to use.

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Glad you agree, with some forward thinking ideas as well.

What surprises me is why Ableton haven’t approached the user base on keyboard design, after all these years using it I am still a bit baffled over this particular issue, I can understand technical obstacles in the past, such as the browsing and mapping of presets Live pre Live 9, but you would still have though they would have developed a simple work around such as it was.

Now with Live 10 this must be the opportunity they have been waiting for?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:17 pm

I've been thinking about this myself. While Push has always made me play melodies a bit more freely and rhythmically than a traditional keyboard, I've always struggled getting into the mindset of playing chords on Push.

What I've found myself wanting, though, is a unit with the display, some buttons and knobs from Push 2, but with a Keith McMillen K-Board style keyboard. It would be a really compact and space-saving device, with a lot more functionality than traditional keys.

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:25 pm

This is it, I feel it would inspire myself to use more of Ableton’s Instruments, as to be honest most but Sampler and Simpler sit on the tree where they always have.

You

acYm

Post by acYm » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:01 pm

chords are definitely problematic on a 8x8 grid... you need to learn 3 sets of shapes, one for each octave. the upper one is especially awkward.

JuSchu

Post by JuSchu » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:51 pm

Get out your credit card. Novation released the new SL series and it's pretty much what you asked for.
And it's really awesome if you also work with hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6yVp7TSSmk

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:21 am

I realised that another workaround/interesting development would be to for Ableton and NI to embrace in a partnership to work Ableton’s library of devices into NKS format a Win Win all around if you ask me.

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 am

JuSchu wrote:Get out your credit card. Novation released the new SL series and it's pretty much what you asked for.
And it's really awesome if you also work with hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6yVp7TSSmk
Cool but, no ability to call up Lives library, audition sounds and fire them into a set, the control over Instruments and effects is there, hot swapping between devices is decent, but it’s not quite right.

Basically I might have to give in and buy Push 2 and try a workaround with my current controller, it’s just a bit frustrating.

The other option is to try and hop over to the parallel universe and get it from there. Lol.

Stakker

Post by Stakker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:56 am

Definitely would buy this! I have no use for the grid, which just takes up loads of space (and adds cost). Alternatively, how about a Push without the grid. A nice compact package with just the controls and display. Use with your MIDI keyboard of choice.

Rlo

Post by Rlo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:25 pm

I would buy it immediately if it would be something like this:

https://imgur.com/a/ITleiPb

forgive me for my bad PS skills :D