Make one version of Live.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
nathannn

Make one version of Live.

Post by nathannn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:51 am

You guys do know that I can look into the live folder and see every instrument and effect that is in suite.
Last edited by nathannn on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

sporkles

Re: Make one version of Live.

Post by sporkles » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:55 am

I don't see how that could work. It would of course mean just one version (Suite), but cheaper than it is now. It would still be too expensive for those who cannot afford Live Standard today, and you'd also lose the gateway drug effect.

Live Lite is not a version that's for sale anyway, it just comes bundled with various hardware, so we're really only talking three versions.

So maybe a better solution would be an option to check upon installing Live Standard and Intro to "Don't rub my nose in all the goodies I'm missing"?

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:53 pm

Simple, just buy Suite. Oops, it's pretty expensive...

There's no marketing going on here, the cheaper versions are for people who either can't afford more expensive ones or literally don't need everything. Plenty of hobbyists could work just fine with Live Lite/Intro for many years, so why pay hundreds more for Standard or Suite? If you're a professional and can't afford to buy Suite you need to hustle more. :wink:

Live Lite is a great deal...I got multiple copies from buying a Launchpad, a Novation keyboard, a Focusrite interface, a Korg controller, etc. It's hard to go through life without getting a copy. How can you complain about limitations when it's free.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:21 pm

I would never have become a Live user without the Intro version, which I used for 3 years because I couldn't afford the upgrade from Intro to Standard (much less Standard straight).

Most likely I would have given up on music production altogether (*), as the DAWs that I was using before Live were rather boring or/and uninspiring, I opened them once in a while and never really created anything in any of them.

With Live (Intro) I opened it every day, had fun playing around even in days I was not particularly inspired, and so have persisted so far (about 5+ years, finally managed to save monies and get Standard after 3 years with Intro, and Suite after less than a year with Standard).

I learned a lot using Intro, almost weekly I would come across someone claiming "Intro suxxx because it can't do X", I would try and learn you can do "X" just fine in Intro.

(*) obs: I come from a graphic design and illustration background, so I have other "creative outlets" besides music already.
♥♥♥

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:02 am

sporkles wrote:
So maybe a better solution would be an option to check upon installing Live Standard and Intro to "Don't rub my nose in all the goodies I'm missing"?
That could be the solution, but I dont think that is likely to happen given that Ableton market Live in 3 different versions.

The user could ignore the three versions of Live and create whatever they want to create within the limitations of the software.

There could be many variables of why some one ends up with whatever version they choose. Some of the variables could be income, preference and the many variables that fall out side of those.

I am talking about a specific user here though. Im talking about some one who has seen the main website of Ableton. This person looks at all the tools available in intro and compares them to the tools available in suite. This user realizes that the tools available in suite are the best tools to complete their project in the most efficient manner.

This specific user would never use Live if the only version was Intro. They would use standard, but in this case now they see that suite offers even more of the tools that will help them finish the project efficiently. They know that buying standard would require them to buy third party tools because they need some of the tools that are available in suite to complete the project efficiently.

They chose suite as the best available option when it comes to working efficiently.

Here is where the problem arises: this person can not afford suite, Intro is out of the question and Standard like suite requires more funds than this person has.
This person may never get the funds together because they are part of most of the world who live in poverty.
What do they do next?

They can ignore Ableton Live all together and choose something that might not be Ableton Live but it offers a lot more of the tools than Standard or Suite at a lower cost.
They can chose nothing or they can can chose to use an "unauthorized" version which may or may not contain malware.
This person decides that given their funds, the choice between the lower cost competitor and the choice between a seemingly free malware version that they choose the malware version.

There is one more issue though: This user does not want to use the malware version because their ethics and morals are both playing a role in the decision, but they do it anyways because this is the tool they need and it best fits there funds.

Now this person can finally finish the project and they send the project out to other people over the internet.
Again issues arise. Now the file is infected with malware because they chose (unknowingly) that the software they downloaded contains malware. The malware now continues to infect other people.

This is a real scenario that happens all of the time. The user is left to feel ashamed because they could not buy the software and now feel ashamed because they chose an unauthorized version and they unknowingly added to the malware mess.

Here are just some of the many options Ableton has to address issue stated above.

1. They could chose to do nothing and continue on (unknowingly or knowingly) contributing to malware distribution and the internal ethical dialog of a portion of the user base that just wants to make music

2. They could find a way to make the full version accessible to all the users.

3. There is no current way that Ableton can make the software accessible to all the users while maintaining the company and the workforce, but they are willing implement a goal to solve this issue in the future.

There are many options available to solve this issue. Its just a now a question of does Ableton want to solve this particular issue.
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:51 am

doghouse wrote:Simple, just buy Suite. Oops, it's pretty expensive...

the cheaper versions are for people who either can't afford more expensive ones or literally don't need everything. .
Do both sets of people really fall into the same category of only needing the cheaper version?

One person uses a less expensive version because that is all they need
Another person cant afford the expensive version but also does not need the tools and is fine with the cheaper version

There is a third scenario that is being overlooked,
The user who can not afford the expensive version of Live and they know that the tools in suite are what they need to complete a project with the most ease or in some cases may be the only tool that can complete the project.

What does the third user do? Should we care about the third user?

no computers or synths