Motorized Faders in Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
prospect

Motorized Faders in Ableton?

Post by prospect » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:08 pm

I'd like to use a control surface with motorized faders for mixing in Ableton.
What do you guys/gals use for this?

Does Ableton support motorized faders?

Stromkraft

Re: Motorized Faders in Ableton?

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:50 pm

prospect wrote:I'd like to use a control surface with motorized faders for mixing in Ableton.

Mackie HUI protocol.
Make some music!

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 pm

prospect wrote:I'd like to use a control surface with motorized faders for mixing in Ableton.

and Mackie Control Protocol.

I use the Behringer X-Touch and X-Touch Extender for 16 motorized faders/transport/so much more...
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

alec.tron

Post by alec.tron » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:10 am

I use an Icon Platform M+, and after the initial issues with bad documentation and dodgy drivers.. once I got it to work with new driver from Icon support (which wasn't publicly available) it has been rock solid ever since.
c.

pinosvalle

Post by pinosvalle » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 am

I use Mackie Universal Control + Behringer BCF2000 as extension of mackie. Perfect.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:58 pm

MCU Pro

works as you would expect.

Oryx

Post by Oryx » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:08 am

alec.tron wrote:I use an Icon Platform M+, and after the initial issues with bad documentation and dodgy drivers.. once I got it to work with new driver from Icon support (which wasn't publicly available) it has been rock solid ever since.
c.
And you're still satisfied with it? I'm on the lookout buying a platform m+ but there is almost no documentation on the net about using it in ableton live.

Does the knobs for transport/zoom/scrolling all work as it should?
Can they be reappear for example recording I'd like to be overdub etc.

Can you describe what's working good and not good at the moment?

I'm thinking buying it to support my push 2 to have an even further 'hands on' experience.

Thank you

smand

Post by smand » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:35 pm

alec.tron wrote:I use an Icon Platform M+, and after the initial issues with bad documentation and dodgy drivers.. once I got it to work with new driver from Icon support (which wasn't publicly available) it has been rock solid ever since.
c.
hi Alec, is that drive now the public one? I'm having zero success with my platform M+ - but I have a push 2 installed at the same time and I wonder if that is my issue? I'd hope to use both.

appreciate you sharing your experience, thanks.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:39 pm

I'll just mention that Live's Relative mode gives you the benefit of motorized faders without actually requiring them.

The level of a track starts from the current level but moves in the direction you move the fader. The only time there's an issue is when the fader is already at an extreme. If the fader is at max, you can't adjust track level up, only down and if the fader is at zero you can move track level up. Relative mode also works with knobs, which is nice for controllers that use pots instead of endless encoders.

I also use Logic and it only has a pass through mode for faders (you have to move the fader to the current value before it takes control), so I find the motorized fader (yeah, just one) on my controller invaluable.

alec.tron

Post by alec.tron » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:31 pm

Oryx wrote:
c.
And you're still satisfied with it?
Hey, yes, I am. Still works well - but what I'm not looking forward to is re-installing it on a new workstation... which will be coming in the next months :/, as the initial setup was fiddly at best.
I have since added Touchable Pro as a control surface as well, and all, Push2, Platform M+ & Touchable on 2 iPads (occasionally... as the undo behaviour the control scripts introduce are a bit hard to tolerate when not working free flow...) work surprisingly well with each other. BVut, tbh, I barely use the Platform for anything else but the motorzied faders & solo/mute/sel buttons [I just wish there was a motorized fader control surface (that doesn't cost an arm & a leg - i.e. a full digital/midi-able console :/) with endless/non-clicky rotary knobs not only for Panning, but 2+ additional potis for sends...]. But from memory, Jog, Transport & Zoom controls did work, or at least they did not appear to be not working... :D
But, I have not tried re-mapping anything.

smand wrote:hi Alec, is that drive now the public one? I'm having zero success with my platform M+ - but I have a push 2 installed at the same time and I wonder if that is my issue? I'd hope to use both.

appreciate you sharing your experience, thanks.
I'm not sure if they now released it, but I would think they did since.
But, ever since I installed it and got it running the way I wanted it to, I have not tried to fiddle with anything Icon/Platform wise... but as above, I successfully run the Platform M+ side by side with Push2 & Touchable as (non Mackie) control surfaces, so having a Push2 in itself is not a factor to not having it behave (i.e. I can tweak volums on the push2 or within the touchable mixer, and the motorized faders & all button lights on the platform do react and move in unison (ish. With a 0.2-0.5 second delay...).
Sorry I can't be of more help... all the best of luck - hope you can sort it o
c.