(SOLVED) Live 10 crashing on startup after fresh install

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cuv

(SOLVED) Live 10 crashing on startup after fresh install

Post by Cuv » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Hoping someone has some advice. I'm getting the following message in a dialogue box, that causes the Ableton splash screen to hang after just trying to create the First opening live set:

"A serious program error has occurred.
Live will shut down after this message box is closed.

Please restart live and follow the instructions in the report a crash lesson that will appear in Live's help view."

After closing down the dialogue box and trying to start Ableton again, the same thing repeatedly happens.

I've also tried restarting the machine and same again.

The latest version of Ableton 9 is also installed.
Last edited by Cuv on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jestermgee

Re: Live 10 crashing on startup after fresh install

Post by jestermgee » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:14 pm

os?

Cuv

Post by Cuv » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:57 am

Ahah, good question - I meant to say that it's Windows.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:04 am

Try delete the Live preferences (not uninstall):

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... reset-Live

Also, if if it is trying to load but then crashes try and take note of what it is doing (such as scanning VSTs). Could be one that is not compatible or has an issue.

Cuv

Post by Cuv » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:52 am

Ty.

I've downloaded the zip file again and will try another install.

The original file was downloaded to an (assumed) Ext4 filesystem, then moved to NTFS, unpacked and installed - so may have been corrupted during this process.

Will try your suggestion if no joy.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:11 pm

Yes, My Live 10 crashes on start if my default set contains a Max4Live device. In my case my default set usually contains a convolution reverb.
With version of Live10 over around 10.2 this will crash on start.

My solution has been to remove the convolution reverb from my default set, let live load and then add it.
It's a rare bug I think (meaning it only affects a few users) but I have several issues logged in centercode which relate to it.

L10-BUG-0634 Crash on start
is my earliest
L10-BUG-5259 is todays!

I advise you to follow earlier advice to delete your preferences. But you may like to try deleting your default set . That may be the trigger if it contains M4L devices.
It's my opinion based on nothing but my own case that this is related to certain Windows 7 setups. I don't know if you are running Win7.
Win 7 handled circular references badly and that was improved in Win10. But this is a guess based on whisps of half knowledge.

daizok

Post by daizok » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:10 pm

Angstrom wrote:Yes, My Live 10 crashes on start if my default set contains a Max4Live device..
Curious, do your troubling sets also contain Spectrasonics plugins?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:08 pm

daizok wrote:
Angstrom wrote:Yes, My Live 10 crashes on start if my default set contains a Max4Live device..
What would be the issue there? I have never had an issue with Omnisphere, Keyscape or Trilian

Cuv

Post by Cuv » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:00 pm

Well that's mad, doing the delete preferences stuff via the link actually worked!

Thanks all

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:56 am

daizok wrote:
Nah. Just Max devices. Ableton factory ones mostly.
The issue had been replicated by Ableton and has been in the system a while. I'm not entirely sure where the problem lies but I assume the percentage of people affected is quite small.

slatepipe

Re: (SOLVED) Live 10 crashing on startup after fresh install

Post by slatepipe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:32 am

hmmm - yeah i been getting these crashes too, i been sending plenty crash reports to ableton over the last few months trying to figure it out, they've been pretty helpful but it's still happening. i been thinking it's due to either: 1. one of my own mfl devices i use to interact with my controllers. 2.something to do with my Jbridge 32 to 64 bit plugins 3.t-racks deluxe suite plugins, or 4.some ableton mfl device. i'm coming to the conclusion that it might be 4 as i've been using 1,2 and 3 for years with no probs. and i've heard mention of the convolution reverb device being the possible culprit but i can't be sure. i have it on a send on my default set, the crashed seem intermittent though. i can load the default set no problem but if i then load an als file it will sometimes crash and then i can't open anyting else until i reboot

annoying AF :x :x

daizok

Post by daizok » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:06 pm

jestermgee wrote:
daizok wrote:
What would be the issue there? I have never had an issue with Omnisphere, Keyscape or Trilian
Just a hunch, maybe another edge case (or not).

@Angstrom; thanks for your reply, I've read your reports on centercode, i'm experiencing somewhat similar behavior, i'll keep following it.

Arash Mohseni

Post by Arash Mohseni » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:40 pm

I fixed the issues after use right click on "Ableton Live x Suite.exe" and use "Delete from Firewall".

Steps :

1- Turn off Firewall Windows
2 - Right click on "Ableton Live x Suite.exe" and use "Delete from Firewall"
3 - Run "Ableton Live x Suite.exe"

X = Version of software

Best Regards
Mehran Abbasi
Best Regard
Arash Mohseni

davidrdm

Post by davidrdm » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:58 am

Please help! Im using Ableton live lite. I just started. My live set crashes. It will hang and I'm forced to quit Live. I restart it and get crash files to send to Ableton. The crash or hang happens at the exact same place after restarting the live set which crashed. They dont tell me what caused the crash uuugghh! I have only 7 VST third party plug ins. But the crash happened while using a drum plug in. Its updated though. Im really confused now. Should I uninstall live lite? How do I know if its my plug ins? One of the plug ins was purchased and not free. Thank Kindly.

David

sbdejong

Post by sbdejong » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:11 am

Arash Mohseni wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:40 pm
I fixed the issues after use right click on "Ableton Live x Suite.exe" and use "Delete from Firewall".

Steps :

1- Turn off Firewall Windows
2 - Right click on "Ableton Live x Suite.exe" and use "Delete from Firewall"
3 - Run "Ableton Live x Suite.exe"

X = Version of software

Best Regards
Mehran Abbasi
Thanks a lot! I was having all kinds of issues with authorising both live and new VST plugins. Removing the Ableton related rules from the windows firewall solved the issue. After removing these rules and enabling the Windows defender Firewall again all authorisations now work fine.